Tel: 1 (905) 634-3848

Text: 1 (905) 906-3848

Purveyors of Authentic Militaria

eMedals-Canada. A First War Memorial Cross to the PPCLI; Wounded at Passchendaele

Item: C3740

Canada. A First War Memorial Cross to the PPCLI; Wounded at Passchendaele

Hammer Price:

Bid History


Time Remaining:

Buyer's Premium  

eMedals proudly ships worldwide, see our shipping information

What's a max bid?

Your maximum bid should be the highest amount you're willing to pay for an item.

Your entered maximum bid will not be disclosed to the seller or other auction participants at any point.

Max bidding example:

If the current auction price is $100 dollars and you place a maximum bid of $120 dollars, the system will bid $101 dollars on your behalf.

If no other participant places a bid, you win that auction lot for $101 dollars.

If another auction participant places a bid of $110 dollars, the system will subsequently place a bid of $111 dollars on your behalf. The system will continue to bid in $1.00 dollar increments until your maximum bid of $120 dollars is exceeded.

If another auction participant places a bid for $125 dollars, the auction lot price will display $121 dollars having exceeded your previously submitted maximum bid by $1.00 dollar.

Buyer's Premium

All bids are subject to a Buyer's Premium which is in addition to the placed successful bid. The following rate of Buyer's Premium will be added to the Hammer Price of each Lot that you purchase:

Twenty percent (20%) of the Hammer Price

Canada. A First War Memorial Cross to the PPCLI; Wounded at Passchendaele

A First War Memorial Cross to the PPCLI; Wounded at Passchendaele - GRV (475536 L-Cpl. W.E. WEBB). Naming is officially engraved. On suspension bar hanger, engraved with his mother's initials "A.G.W", without ribbon, light contact, near extremely fine. Accompanied by copies of his Index Cards, Attestation Papers, Service Records, Medical Records, Pay Records and Discharge Certificates.   Footnote: William Ernest Webb was born on April 29, 1895 in Yorkshire, England according to his Attestation Paper, yet in one of his medical records it states that he was born on April 29, 1894 in Belfast, Ireland. He signed his Attestation Paper as a Private, as part of the McGill University Company, 4th Reinforcement Draft on November 23, 1915 in Montreal, Quebec, naming his next-of-kin as his father, William Arthur Webb of Montreal, stating that he had no previous military service, that he was not married and that his trade was that of Farmer. Two weeks later, he arrived in England on December 7, 1915 and was taken on strength with the 11th Reserve Battalion the next day. Four days later, he was transferred to the 6th Reserve Battalion on December 12, 1915, where he was posted for five months, ending on May 15, 1916. During his stay with the 6th Reserve Battalion, he caught a cold when on guard on a damp rainy night at St. Martin's Plains, Kent, England in late December 1915. He was sent to Moore Barracks Hospital at Shorncliffe, where he was diagnosed with Tuberculosis in his lungs on January 14, 1916, with a full report on his medical condition issued on January 30th, stating that he had "Caught cold in (his) chest one month ago" and that he had acquired a "Cough and expectorations, spat up blood on several occasions. Has night sweats." He was deemed "fit for duty" and discharged to the 6th Reserve Battalion on February 8th. After ten weeks, Webb was struck off strength to the Royal Canadian Regiment and Princess Patrica's Canadian Light Infantry Depot at East Sandling on April 27, 1916, preparing for action in the European theatre with the PPCLI. He proceeded overseas on May 16th and was taken on strength by the PPCLI at the Canadian Base Depot in France on May 17th, leaving for his unit in the field on June 4th and joining them on the 6th. Webb had served with the PPCLI for almost seventeen months when he was wounded on October 30, 1917 at the Battle of Passchendaele (Third Battle of Ypres). While on duty, he was exposed to shell gas (mustard) causing irritation of bronchitis and conjunctivitis, along with burns. According to his medical records, he suffered "Shell Gas Poisoning (Mustard) causing burns under (his) left arm, on side of (his) chest and behind the left knee and respiratory problems." He was admitted to No. 9 Canadian Field Ambulance on November 6th, then transferred to No. 17 Casualty Clearing Station on the 11th, where his condition was stabilized before he was invalided to England aboard the Hospital Ship Princess Elizabeth. He was posted to the Eastern Ontario Regimental Depot at Seaford and admitted to the Queen Mary Military Hospital at Whalley, Lancashire on November 16th, where he was to remain for the next two weeks, before being transferred on November 30th to the Convalescent Hospital, Woodcote Park at Epsom, convalescing for the next nine weeks. Upon being discharged on February 6, 1918, he was placed on command at the 3rd Canadian Convalescent Depot. Two months later, he was taken on strength of the 6th Reserve Battalion on posting from the Eastern Ontario Regimental Depot on April 11, 1918. He was appointed Acting Lance Corporal on August 24, 1918 and granted permission to marry Sarah Webb on September 14, 1918, marrying her on September 26th in Belfast, Ireland. He was placed on command at the 1st Canadian Discharge Depot at Buxton on December 23, 1919 for return to Canada, attached to the Canadian Concentration Camp at Kinmel Park. Upon return to Canada, he was posted to the Casualty Company on January 23, 1919. In his Medical History of an Invalid, dated February 8, 1919 at No. 4 District Depot in Montreal, it noted that he "complains of chronic cough which bothers him most when he gets up in the morning", that in regards to his "lungs: breath sounds clear throughout but somewhat harsh and bronchial in character with occasional rales (crackles)". Acting Lance Corporal Webb was discharged upon demobilization on February 12, 1919, at No. 4 District Depot, Military District No.4 in Montreal. He died on December 20, 1934, his death attributed to respiratory problems acquired during his war service, qualifying him for a Memorial Cross, which was issued to his mother Ada Gertrude Webb. His wife, Sarah Webb likely received one too.      
Back To Top