A 1904 Argyll Highlanders Cap Badge
A 1904 Argyll Highlanders Cap Badge - 94th Victoria Regiment, 36 mm x 51 mm, bronze, maker marked J.R. GAUNT MONTREAL on the reverse. In near mint condition. Footnote: The Battalion was organized on October 13, 1871 as The Victoria Provisional Battalion of Infantry from four independent companies. Headquarters of this new unit was established at Baddeck, Victoria County, Cape Breton-hence the name. The ranks were filled predominantly by Highlanders, the descendants of Scots who had emigrated from the Duke of Argyll's estates. After a slight change in redesignation the unit officially became a Highland battalion on December 12, 1879. A few months later, on April 9, 1880, a further redesignation bound the unit to its Argyll ancestry by bearing The Victoria Provisional Battalion of Infantry "Argyll Highlanders" and in 1890, it was numbered " 94th " in the list of Canadian Militia Units. Later, the Canadian Expeditionary Force Battalion, Cape Breton Highlanders, was authorized on February 1, 1916, as the second of four Battalions that made up the Nova Scotia Highland Brigade. The brigade was part of the 5th Canadian Division.