Tel: 1(905) 634-3848

Text: 1(905) 906-3848

Purveyors of Authentic Militaria

eMedals-WWI Trio to Private Carl A. Mattson DOD

Item: C1441

WWI Trio to Private Carl A. Mattson DOD

Sold For


View Bid History

Not available.

WWI Trio to Private Carl A. Mattson DOD

WWI Trio to Private Carl A. Mattson DOD - 1914-15 Star (446307 Pte C.A. MATTSON. CAN:A.S.C.); British War Medal (446307 PTE. C.A. MATTSON. C.A.S.C.); and Victory Medal (446307 PTE. C.A. MATTSON. C.A.S.C.). Naming is officially impressed. Un-mounted, cleaned, near extremely fine. Accompanied by copies of his Index Cards, Attestation Paper, Service Records, Pay Records, Medical Records and Will.  Footnote: Carl Andrew Mattson was born on June 15, 1886 in Awland (possibly Aaland or Aland), Sweden, the son of Matilda Mattson (later referred to as Mrs. Matilda Basch). He signed his Attestation Paper with the 56th Infantry Battalion "Calgary Battalion" (1st Reinforcement Draft) on April 29, 1915 in Calgary, Alberta, naming his next-of-kin as his mother, Matilda, stating that he had no previous military service, that he was not married and that his trade was that of Chauffeur. The Battalion was raised and mobilized in Calgary, Alberta, under the authority of G.O. 86, July 1, 1915. The Battalion embarked Canada on March 23, 1916 under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel W.C.G. Armstrong with a strength of 40 officers and 1,070 other ranks, including Mattson. Upon arrival in England, he was taken on strength by the 30th Reserve Battalion at Shornecliff on July 18th. Six weeks later, he was transferred to the Canadian Army Service Corps, 2nd Provisional Supply Column on September 1, 1915 and granted 2nd Class working pay. He left for the French theatre from Southampton on September 9, 1915, disembarking in Rouen on the 11th. Late the following Spring, he was admitted to No. 4 Field Ambulance with sub acute appendicitis on May 28, 1916, then transferred the next day to No. 15 Casualty Clearing Station, where his appendicitis was declared "acute". He was soon transferred to No. 1 Canadian General at Etaples where an appendectomy was performed. He was subsequently evacuated to the United Kingdom and admitted to 3rd Western General Hospital in Cardiff on June 15th. His condition began to worsen, as a swelling appeared, affecting his right leg. An operation was performed over the old site for drainage. His condition improved slowly until November 10th, when another operation was done again for drainage, as a swelling had appeared in his back. He required another operation on the 22nd for more drainage, with tubes going in through to the front. He improved slowly with occasional presence of faeces upon dressing. He was transferred to the Canadian Convalescent Hospital at Orpington, Kent, where it was noticed that faeces, blood and pus were present, with the decision being made on April 19, 1917, to transfer him to a critical care facility. He was transferred the next day to the Duchess of Connaught Canadian Red Cross Hospital at Oliveden, Taplow, Buckinghamshire, where it was noted that he was "admitted with a large granulating mass over (the) appendix region. And two fistulas in loin region, discharging continuously faecal material." His medical records also document an "Intestinal Obstruction". Although there was some improvement noticed through June and July, Mattson was confined to hospital for the next year, as his condition eventually deteriorated on a gradual basis. By the following Spring of 1918, his days were numbered, as he was internally poisoned by the Faecal Fistula and Intestinal Obstruction, his condition stated as "Seriously Ill" on May 14, 1918. Mattson officially died from a combination of Peritonitis (an inflammation of the peritoneum, the thin tissue that lines the inner wall of the abdomen and covers most of the abdominal organs) and Starvation, at noon on May 21, 1918, at the age of 31. He is buried in the Cliveden War Cemetery, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom, Grave Reference: 23. In his handwritten Will, dated September 9, 1915, written the day he left with the 2nd Division Supply Column for France, it stated that "In the event of my death I give the whole of my property and effects and money if any to Mrs. R.J. Wilson, Box 3, High River, Alta, Canada, N,W.T." His trio of medals were forwarded to Mrs. R.J. Wilson, now of Nordegg, Alberta. However, his Plaque with Scroll, along with his Memorial Cross were never issued, as the government authorities were unable to locate his next of kin.
Back To Top