Tel: 1(905) 634-3848

Text: 1(905) 906-3848

Purveyors of Authentic Militaria

eMedals-WWI Memorial Cross - Wounded at Amiens 1918

Item: C1592

WWI Memorial Cross - Wounded at Amiens 1918

Sold For


View Bid History

Not available.

WWI Memorial Cross - Wounded at Amiens 1918

WWI Memorial Cross - Wounded at Amiens 1918 - GRV (526501 Pte W.S. LePOIDEVIN.). Naming is officially engraved. Light contact, gilt wear on the reverse, better than very fine. Accompanied by copies of his Index Cards, Attestation Papers, Service Records, Medical Records, Pay Records, Discharge Certificates and Will, along with assorted research papers. Footnote: William Stanley LePoidevin was born on July 23, 1881 in St. Helier, Jersey, Channel Islands. He signed his Attestation Paper with the Canadian Army Medical Corps on June 1, 1915 in Montreal, Quebec, at the age of 33, naming his next-of-kin as his wife, Lillie LePoidevin of Kingsbury, Quebec, stating that he had previous military service with the Royal Army Medical Corps, that he was married and that his trade was that of Lumber Scaler (Lumber Mill Foreman). His medical records indicate he had Malaria while in East Africa "years ago", possibly entitling him to the East and Central Africa Medal. The Canadian Army Medical Corps, already part of Canada's small regular force and non-permanent active militia at the start of the war, was part of the vanguard of troops that went overseas and among the first to enter into battle. The corps was instrumental in inoculating the entire Canadian force against typhoid fever. It employed 1,351 medical officers, 1,886 nursing sisters and 12,243 field medics and orderlies. While in Canada, LePoidevin saw two promotions: to Sergeant (June 6, 1915) and Sergeant Major (August 8, 1915). He arrived in England on March 13, 1916 and was taken on strength as an Acting Sergeant Major at Sandgate. Eight weeks after arriving in England, he was transferred to the Canadian Army Medical Corps Training Station at No. 7 Stationary Hospital in London on May 9th. Later that Summer, LePoidevin was transferred to No. 4 General Hospital and reverted to the ranks on August 7, 1916, in preparation for overseas service to Salonica (Salonika), Greece. He embarked Southampton, England on August 9th, arriving on the 20th and posted to 3rd Echelon General Headquarters. He was attached to the British Army, which was under Lieutenant General George Milne, accompanied by French troops, which were posted to Salonika to oppose Bulgarian advances in the region as part of the Macedonian front. He was transferred to the 28th Casualty Clearing Station on March 30, 1917 and was granted one Good Conduct Badge on May 31st. After serving one year in the Greek theatre, he embarked for England on August 16, 1917 and was taken on strength from Salonika at Basingstoke on September 5th, reverting to the permanent rank of Private on February 28, 1918. He was transferred to the Canadian Army Medical Depot at Shorncliffe on April 6th, to prepare for overseas service in the French theatre, struck off strength on April 24th, disembarking at the Canadian Base Depot in LeHavre, France and posted to the Canadian Corps Reinforcement Camp on April 28th. Two weeks later, LePoidevin was posted to No. 6 Field Ambulance on May 11th and almost three months to the day of his posting, was wounded at Amiens on August 12, 1918, suffering a gun shot wound to his left chest. He was admitted to No. 9 General Hospital at Rouen on August 14th, then transferred to No. 8 American General at Boulogne for evacuation to the United Kingdom, where he was admitted to 3rd Western General Hospital at Cardiff, Wales on August 16th. It was here that it was discovered that he had Albuminuria (a pathological condition wherein Albumin, a globular protein, is present in the urine). In the later part of his ten week stay, it stated that his condition was "progressing favourably", whereupon he was transferred to the Canadian Convalescent Hospital, Woodcote Park, Epsom on October 31st. It was here that doctors stated that he "Complains of pain over kidneys" and "in the head" and that his "Urine shows trace of Albuminuria". He was returned to hospital, this time to King's Canadian Red Cross Special Hospital at Bushy Park on November 12th, where he was diagnosed with "Nephritis" (an inflammation of the kidneys and may involve the glomeruli, tubules, or interstitial tissue surrounding the glomeruli and tubules), where he was to spend the next month before being discharged on December 11th. Two weeks later, he proceeded to the Canadian Army Medical Corps Casualty Company on December 23rd, then taken on strength from the Canadian Army Medical Corps at the Canadian Concentration Camp at Kinmel Park, for return to Canada on January 21, 1919. LePoidevin was struck off strength to Canada on February 16th, embarking England aboard the Empress of Britain the following day, arriving in Canada on the 25th and was posted to the Casualty Company in Montreal on the 26th. In his Medical History of an Invalid, dated March 14, 1919 at Montreal, it noted that he had a "Slight debility following Nephritis" and "pain in muscles of back". It went on to trace his steps, in regards to his medical situation: "Had taken ill while on duty in France Aug. 1918 and was sent down line to No. 8 American General at Boulogne and evacuated to England where he was in hospital with Nephritis for five months, was discharged to convalesce and sent to Wales to await embarkation to Canada." It was declared by the doctors that he would not be able to continue in the Army, nor resume his former trade of Lumber Scaler, as he would endure "impaired efficiency on account of myalgia (muscle pain, a symptom of many diseases and disorders) of lumbar muscles." LePoidevin was discharged upon demobilization on March 17, 1919, at Military District No. 4 in Montreal, credited with having served in Canada, the United Kingdom, Salonika and France. He was to live only ten months before he died from disease, related to his war service, on January 28, 1920. In his handwritten Will, dated March 17, 1918 at Basingstoke, stated that "In the event of my death I give the whole of my property to My Wife, Lilley LePoidevin." In addition to receiving his British War Medal, Victory Medal, Memorial Plaque and Scroll, his widow also received his Memorial Cross. His records indicate he was ineligible for the 1914-15 Star but it remains a mystery as to why, while his widow was deemed ineligible for a War Service Gratuity. His mother, Mrs. John LePoidevin of Jersey, Channel Islands also received his Memorial Cross.
Back To Top