Imperial Own Coronation Bazaar Hospital for Sick Children Badge
Imperial Own Coronation Bazaar Hospital for Sick Children Badge - Badge in bronze gilt with red and blue enamels, maker marked "KENNING & SON LONDON" on the reverse, 25 mm x 41.2 mm, with vertical stickpin, dark yellow ribbon suspended from a bar on the reverse of the badge with a large red cross in the centre and inscribed "HOSPITAL FOR SICK CHILDREN" in red ink, the ends sewn together in a v-formation, extremely fine. Footnote: The Hospital for Sick Children opened at No. 49 Great Ormand Street in London, England, in 1852. The principal founder, Dr. Charles West had three basic ambitions for the Hospital: the provision of healthcare to the children of the poor, the encouragement of clinical research in paediatrics, and the training of paediatric nurses. The Hospital was funded by subscriptions and donations, as its services were provided free of charge, exclusively for the children of the poor. The Astor family gave £50,000 in 1902, to endow a new out-patients department, while two large-scale public events, the Imperial Coronation Bazaar (1902) and the Midsummer Fair and Fete at Olympia (1909) enjoyed the support of most of London's "high society". Through public interest, the Hospital was able to raise £19,000 and £6,000, respectively.