Tel: 1(905) 634-3848

Text: 1(905) 906-3848

Purveyors of Authentic Militaria

eMedals-A Memorial Cross to the 44th Infantry Battalion (Manitoba Regiment)

Item: C1411

A Memorial Cross to the 44th Infantry Battalion (Manitoba Regiment)

Sold For


View Bid History

Not available.

A Memorial Cross to the 44th Infantry Battalion (Manitoba Regiment)

Memorial Cross to the 44th Infantry Battalion - (186107. PTE. H.E. FIVEASH.). Naming is officially engraved. Cleaned, light contact, without ribbon, better than very fine. Footnote: Horace Ernest Fiveash was born on June 28, 1887 in Nr. Turnbridge Wells, Kent, England, the son of Charles and Jane Fiveash. He signed his Attestation Paper as a Private with the 90th Battalion "Winnipeg Rifles" on November 5, 1915 at Winnipeg, Manitoba, naming his next-of-kin as his mother, the re-married Mrs. R.A. Covelle, Sr. of St. Thomas, Ontario (his father Charles having predeceased her), stating that he had four years previous service as a Lance-Corporal with the 25th Regiment in St. Thomas, that he was not married and that his trade was that of Canvasser (sometimes referred to as Traveller). The Battalion was raised and mobilized in Winnipeg, Manitoba under the authority of G.O. 151, December 22, 1915 and sailed on June 2, 1916 under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel W.A. Monroe, with a strength of 36 officers and 1,087 other ranks. Once in France, he was transferred to reinforce the 44th Infantry Battalion "Manitoba Regiment", which had also been raised in Winnipeg. Fiveash was Killed in Action at the Battle of Arras on May 7, 1917, at the age of 29. He is remembered with honour on the Vimy Memorial, Pas de Calais, France, the base of which is inscribed in French and in English: "TO THE VALOUR OF THEIR COUNTRYMEN IN THE GREAT WAR AND IN MEMORY OF THEIR SIXTY THOUSAND DEAD THIS MONUMENT IS RAISED BY THE PEOPLE OF CANADA". Inscribed on the ramparts of the Vimy Memorial are the names of over 11,000 Canadian soldiers who were posted as "'missing, presumed dead" in France. Notices regarding his death appeared in the Toronto Star, on May 26 and 28, 1917. The one notice also mentions that he had been married and had spent four days leave with her before he sailed overseas, leaving her a widow in Toronto but does not state her name.
Back To Top