A Historic Desk Seal Owned by The Duke of Wellington
A Historic Desk Seal Owned by The Duke of Wellington and a Geranium Leaf From Napoleon’s Tomb at St. Helena - the seal 5 cms in height is in carved mother of pearl in the form of a four legged winged creature supporting a decorated oval, the oval inlaid with a small gold cartouche displaying a Duke’s coronet over ‘W’. The seal matrix in gilt brass and engraved with a simple design of concentric circles. Contained in a small box with handwritten label ‘This Seal once belonged and was used by the Duke of Wellington and was given by his niece Miss Fitzroy to the Revd W. E. Chapman’. In the base of the box a further handwritten note enclosing a geranium leaf, the note states ‘Geranium leaf brought from Napoleon’s tomb at St. Helena by Wingfield April 1866’ small crack in the tail of the creature otherwise very good condition.