Tel: 1(905) 634-3848

Text: 1(905) 906-3848

Purveyors of Authentic Militaria

eMedals-A First War Pair to the Canadian Engineers

Item: C0867

A First War Pair to the Canadian Engineers

Sold For


View Bid History

Not available.

A First War Pair to the Canadian Engineers

A First War Pair to the Canadian Engineers - British War Medal (690819 SPR. W.H. FITZSIMONS. C.E.); and Victory Medal (690819 SPR. W.H. FITZSIMONS. C.E.). Naming is officially impressed. Very crisp detail, dark patina on the BWM, extremely fine. Accompanied by a CDcontaining fourteen pages with copies of his Index Cards, Attestation Paper, Service Records, Medical Records and Discharge Certificates.   Footnote: William Henry Fitzsimons was born on March 21, 1895 in Hamilton, Ontario. He signed his Attestation Paper with the 173rd Infantry Battalion "Canadian Highlanders" on April 17, 1916 in Hamilton, listing his next-of-kin as his mother, Sarah Fitzsimons of Hamilton and stating that he no previous military service, that he was not married and that his trade was that of Fitter. The Battalion was raised and mobilized in Hamilton under the authority of G.G. 69, July 15, 1916 and sailed from Halifax aboard the S.S. Olympic on November 14, 1916, under the authority of Lieutenant-Colonel W.H. Bruce with a strength of 32 officers and 930 other ranks, including Fitzsimons. They arrived in England on the 20th, where the Battalion was absorbed into the 2nd Reserve Battalion, Fitzsimons being taken on strength on January 19, 1917 at Bramshott. He was transferred to the 5th Army Troops Company, Canadian Engineers on May 16, 1917 and proceeded overseas as a Sapper, arriving in LeHavre, France on June 30th. Two days later, on July 2nd, he was "N.Y.D. (Slt)" and admitted to 39 General Hospital at LeHavre. He was discharged to Reinforcement Etaples on July 17th, diagnosed with Impetigo, a highly contagious bacterial skin infection. He was likely treated with an application of the antiseptic gentian violet, which was popular at the time, later rejoining his unit in the field on the 29th. He was later hospitalized at No. 39 Stat. Hospital at Aire on March 24, 1918 and diagnosed with a case of Gonorrhea and transferred to No. 51 General Hospital Etaples on April 1 for further treatment. He forfeited F.A. and fifty cents per day while in hospital, was discharged to duty and arrived Class "A" at Canadian Base Depot on June 30, 1918. He was transferrred to the Canadian Corps Reinforcement Camp pool on August 13th, then left for his unit in the field on October 22nd. Fitzsimons soon found himself in trouble and on November 19, 1918, he was sentenced to three days Field Punishment No. 1 for "Insolence to an officer and refusing to obey an order." He proceeded to England and was struck off strength to the Canadian Engineer Reinforcement Depot at Seaford on March 3, 1919, then attached to CSME on arrival from France on March 4th. He was struck off strength of the Overseas Military Forces of Canada, having embarked Liverpool aboard the S.S. Belgic on April 16th, arriving in Halifax on the 23rd. Fitzsimons was taken on strength on April 16, 1919 at No. 2 District Depot in Hamilton and was discharged from service upon demobilization on April 25th.
Back To Top