Tel: 1(905) 634-3848

Text: 1(905) 906-3848

Purveyors of Authentic Militaria

eMedals-A First War Pair to the 1st Canadian Infantry

Item: C3514

A First War Pair to the 1st Canadian Infantry



Layaway Policy

eMedals is pleased to offer flexible layaway services to all clients. Our layaway program offers the opportunity for clients to make payments on eligible items over period of time.

Minimum deposit of 30%, of the total price of your order including all applicable taxes and shipping charges, is due when the merchandise is put on layaway. The total price of your order must be paid within 6 months from the date of original purchase.

You may make additional payments at any time by accessing the Layaway section in your account.

Your contract will be automatically cancelled and ordered merchandise will be returned to stock if you have not completed payments in full by the 3 month deadline.

You may pay by cash, check, wire transfer, Paypal, or credit card.

Available for immediate shipping.

A First War Pair to the 1st Canadian Infantry

A First War Pair to the 1st Canadian Infantry - British War Medal (406737 L. SJT. H.S. HARLEY. 1-CAN.INF.); and Victory Medal (406737 L. SJT. H.S. HARLEY. 1-CAN.INF.). Naming is officially impressed. Unmounted, very crisp detail, cleaned, light contact, better than very fine. Accompanied by fourteen pages of copies of his Index Cards, Attestation Paper, Service Records, Medical Records, Discharge Certificate and Department of Veterans Affairs Death Notice. Footnote: Harry (Henry) Smart Harley was born on September 15, 1896 in Hamilton, Ontario. He signed his Attestation Paper with the 36th Infantry Battalion on April 20, 1915 in Hamilton, listing his next-of-kin as his mother, Mary Harley of Hamilton, stating that he has no previous military service, that he was not married and that his trade was that of Electrician's Helper. (He is referred to as either "Harry" or "Henry" throughout his paperwork). The Battalion was raised and mobilized in Hamilton, Ontario under the authority of G.O. 86, July 1, 1915, sailing on June 19, 1915 under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel E.C. Ashton with a strength of 39 officers and 1,004 other ranks, arriving in England by June 28th. By October 11, 1915, he had advanced to the rank of Corporal at West Sandling. He was hospitalized for ten days at Tent Hospital, Shorncliffe and treated for a case of Gonorrhea from November 20th - 30th, 1915, then transferred to Barnwell Military Hospital in Cambridge until being discharged on December 22nd. Harley saw a number of rank changes in the new year and into the next, being named Lance Sergeant on March 7, 1916, reverting to the ranks at his own request on September 9, 1916, then, after bring struck off strength of the 34th Battalion and taken on strength by the 1st Battalion on the 22nd, he was appointed Acting Corporal on the 23rd and then reverted to the ranks at his own request on March 11, 1917. One month later, he was in action in the French theatre, when on April 14, 1917, he suffered a gun shot wound to the left lower jaw and left arm, and was treated at No. 1 Canadian General Etaples. He was transferred on April 22nd to Queen Mary's Military Hospital at Whalley, Lancashire, then to the Canadian Convalescent Hospital at Woodcote Park, Epsom on May 15th, where his "wounds healed having very slight disability". While hospitalized, Harley was granted a Good Conduct Badge on April 20, 1917. He was taken on strength by the 4th Reserve Battalion upon his release from hospital on May 24th. He continued to move up and down through the ranks, being appointed Acting Lance Corporal on August 17, 1917, reverting to the ranks again on November 23rd when he was transferred from the 4th Reserve Battalion to the 1st Battalion. He was appointed Lance Corporal on December 31, 1917, then to Lance Sergeant on February 3, 1918 and finally, promoted to Corporal on February 15th. He was again in the French theatre, when on August 31, 1918, he suffered another gun shot (shrapnel) wound, this time to his right forearm and front radius. He was in General Hospital for ten days before being transferred on September 10th to Nell Lane Military Hospital at Worchester. Harley was transferred to the Military Convalescent Hospital at Epsom on October 30th, where it was noted in his medical records that there was a distinct "deformity and limitation of movement" in his arm, causing him a "Permanent Disability". He was to remain here until December 4th, when he was discharged. He received orthopedic treatment for one month as an in-patient because of his "partial loss of function of the right forearm". On January 24, 1919, he was struck off strength to Canada. Upon his return, after additional medical assessment, he was discharged due to "Medical Unfitness" at No. 2 District Depot, Toronto, Ontario, on February 24, 1919. Harley was credited with three years service in France, from September 22, 1915 to September 10, 1918. He died on April 13, 1964 at Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, the death reported to the Department of Veteran Affairs by his wife, Mildred Harley.
Back To Top