Tel: 1(905) 634-3848

Text: 1(905) 906-3848

Purveyors of Authentic Militaria

eMedals-A First War Canadian Pair to M.M. Winner

Item: C1517

A First War Canadian Pair to M.M. Winner

Sold For


View Bid History

Not available.

A First War Canadian Pair to M.M. Winner

A First War Canadian Pair to M.M. Winner - British War Medal (437934 A. SJT. E. GRAHAM. 7-CAN.INF.); and Victory Medal (437934 A. SJT. E. GRAHAM. 7-CAN.INF.). Naming is officially impressed. Un-mounted, edge nicks on the BWM, spotting on the VM, light contact overall on both, very fine. Accompanied by copies of his Index Cards, Attestation Paper, Service Records, Medical Records, Pay Records, Discharge Certificates, along with two photographs of his grave stone and assorted research papers.   Footnote: Ellis Graham was born on May 21, 1895 in Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta. He signed his Attestation Paper as a Private with the 51st Infantry Battalion "Edmonton Battalion", on November 15, 1915 in Edmonton, Alberta, naming his mother, Mrs. James Graham of Fort Saskatchewan as his next-of-kin, stating that he had no previous military service, that he was not married and that his trade as that of Farmer. He was admitted to Edmonton Military Hospital with "La Grippe" (Influenza) on March 22, 1916, recovered and was discharged on the 24th, rejoining his unit. The Battalion was raised and mobilized in Edmonton, Alberta under the authority of G.O. 86, July 1, 1915. The Battalion embarked Halifax, Nova Scotia aboard the S.S. Missanabie on April 18, 1916, with a strength of 37 officers and 1,055 other ranks under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel R. De L. Harwood, arriving in Liverpool, England on the 28th. Graham was struck of strength of the 51st Infantry Battalion on transfer to the 7th Infantry Battalion on June 8, 1916, upon arrival in the French theatre, joining his unit on the 11th. Graham had participated in a number of battles before being admitted to No. 1 Division Rest Station wounded on July 26, 1916, with a contusion to his right thigh, sustained when the Germans detonated a huge mine during operations in the Ypres/Hill 60 sector. The mine exploded at 10:00 PM on July 25, 1916 and within minutes, No. 1 Company, 7th Battalion rushed forward to occupy the lip of the crater, driving the attacking Germans "onto their own wire". Private Graham was discharged on the 29th and returned to duty thereafter. It was at the Battle of Hill 70 that Private Graham displayed and was recognized for his courage. With all communication wires cut, vital information between the factions of the 7th Battalion could only be achieved by runner. Private Graham volunteered for this hazardous assignment and was awarded his Military Medal: R.O.3327.Macdonell. September 21, 1917 and cited in the London Gazette 30389 on November 19, 1917, "For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty, August 15th 1917. as a Battalion runner he repeatedly carried messages to the Front Line through heavy enemy barrages. He has done consistently fine work throughout other actions." (A.F.W. 3121 3-9-17). He was admitted to No. 6 Casualty Clearing Station on October 11, 1917 with a case of Gonorrhea, transferred to No. 51 General Hospital at Etaples, then discharged to duty on December 6th. Graham was later to see an appointment to Acting Corporal on August 8, 1918, promoted to Corporal and appointed Acting Sergeant the same day. Upon the ceasing of hostilities, he proceeded to England on March 15, 1919 and was placed with H Wing at the Canadian Concentration Camp at Kinmel Park, before being struck off strength off the Overseas Military Forces of Canada. He embarked from England on April 10th and arrived in Canada on the 18th. Graham was discharged upon demobilization on April 25, 1919 in Vancouver, British Columbia and entitled to wear the War Service Badge, Class "A", number 161045. He returned to Fort Saskatchewan and resumed farming, passing away on September 25, 1945.
Back To Top