WWI Queen Alexandra’s Imperial Military Nursing Service Badge
WWI Queen Alexandra’s Imperial Military Nursing Service Badge - Silver, maker marked "J.R. GAUNT LONDON" on the reverse, illustrating a giant "R" surrounded by the inscription "QUEEN ALEXANDRA'S IMPERIAL MILITARY NURSING SERVICE RESERVE" and topped by a crown, very crisp detail, 21.8 mm x 26 mm, intact lugs, light contact, near extremely fine. Footnote: In 1902, Queen Alexandra’s Imperial Military Nursing Service (QAIMNS) was established by Royal Warrant, and was named after Queen Alexandra, who became its President. It replaced the Army Nursing Service, which had been established in 1881, and which from 1889 provided Sisters for all Army hospitals with at least 100 beds. In 1949, the QAIMNS became a corps in the British Army and was renamed as the Queen Alexandra's Royal Army Nursing Corps. Since 1950 the organization has trained nurses, and in 1992 men were allowed to join.