WWII Territorial Army "TA" Badge
WWII Territorial Army "TA" Badge - Silver, unmarked, numbered "233813" on the buttonhole attachment, very crisp detail, 15 mm x 22.3 mm, light contact, better than very fine. Footnote: The Territorial Force was originally formed by the Secretary of State for War, Ricahrd Burdon Haldane, following the enactment of the Territorial and Reserve Forces Act 1907, which combined and re-organized the old Volunteer Force with the remaining units of militia and yeomanry. The TF was formed on April 1, 1908 and contained fourteen infantry divisions, and fourteen mounted yeomanry brigades. It had an overall strength of approximately 269,000. In regards to WWII, on March 29, 1939, it was announced that the size of the TA was to be doubled by the reforming of the 2nd line units. The total strength of the TA was to be 440,000: the field force of the Territorial Army was to rise from 130,000 to 340,000, organized in 26 divisions, while an additional 100,000 all ranks would form the anti-aircraft section. When the 2nd Line was reformed, they were a little different from their First World War predecessors. They had slightly different names and the regiments assigned were different. After VJ Day in August 1945, the Territorial Army was significantly downsized with all 2nd Line and several 1st Line Divisions once again disbanded.