Tel: 1(905) 634-3848

Text: 1(905) 906-3848

Purveyors of Authentic Militaria

eMedals-WWI Trio - Wounded at St.Eloi & Vimy Ridge

Item: C1447

WWI Trio - Wounded at St.Eloi & Vimy Ridge

Sold For


View Bid History

Not available.

WWI Trio - Wounded at St.Eloi & Vimy Ridge

WWI Trio - Wounded at St.Eloi & Vimy Ridge - 1914-15 Star (430904 PTE, J, MCLEOD, 6-CAN,M,RIF,); British War Medal (430904 PTE. J. MCLEOD. 4-C.M.R.); and Victory Medal (430904 PTE. J. MCLEOD. 4-C.M.R.). Naming is officially impressed. Un-mounted, cleaned, silvered, bronzing on Star and VM faintly evident, light contact, edge wear on the BWM and VM, original ribbons, very fine. Accompanied by copies of his Index Cards, Attestation Paper, Service Records, Medical Records, Discharge Certificates and Wills.  Footnote: John McLeod was born on October 11, 1883 in Stornoway, Scotland. He signed his Attestation Paper with the 48th Infantry Battalion on March 31, 1915 in Victoria, British Columbia, naming his next-of-kin as his father, J. McLeod of Stornoroy, stating that he had previous military service with the 88th Regiment, Victoria Fusiliers, that he was not married and that his trade as that of Blacksmith. The Battalion was raised in British Columbia under the authority of G.O. 86, July 1, 1915, with the mobilization headquarters at Victoria. The Battalion sailed July 1, 1915 aboard the R.M.S. Grampian, with a strength of 38 officers and 1,020 other ranks, under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel W.J.H. Holmes, arriving in England on July 10th. He was transferred to the 2nd Canadian Mounted Rifles Brigade on October 15, 1915 for service in the French theatre and placed with the 4th Canadian Mounted Rifles on January 2, 1916 in France. McLeod was wounded at the Battle of St. Eloi, suffering severe shrapnel wounds to his right forearm and admitted to No. 4 General Hospital at Camiers on April 11th. After three days, he was invalided wounded to England on the 14th and admitted to Kitchener Hospital in Brighton on the 15th, then transferred to the Canadian Division Convalescent Hospital, Woodcote Park at Epsom on June 8th. After two months hospitalization in France and England, he was discharged on July 12th and transferred to the 35th Reserve Battalion. He saw another transfer, this time to the Canadian Machine Gun Depot at Crowborough on August 13, 1916, before being transferred to the Machine Gun Pool on February 7, 1917. He arrived in France the following day and joined his new unit, the 13th Machine Gun Company in the field on the 14th. That Spring, he was wounded at Vimy, suffering shrapnel wounds to both arms and shrapnel fragments in his left knee on May 3, 1917. He was admitted to No. 10 Stationary Hospital at St. Omer on May 5th, subsequently invalided to England one week later, and admitted to Military Hospital at Bagthorpe, Nottingham on May 12th. After two months treatment, he was transferred to the Canadian Convalescent Hospital, Bearwood at Wokingham on July 14th, then discharged four weeks later on August 11th and posted to the 3rd Canadian Command Depot at Hastings. The knee continued to bother McLeod, as fragments remained embedded in his knee. He was admitted to the Canadian Military Hospital at Eastbourne on August 30th, where an attempt was made to rectify the situation. A month later, he was discharged on September 29th and returned to the 3rd Canadian Command Depot. The beginning of the new year saw McLeod posted to the Canadian Machine Gun Depot on January 1, 1918. In his Proceedings of a Medical Board document, dated April 18, 1918 at Seaford, Sussex, it noted the fragments of shrapnel in his left knee that were causing swelling and tenderness, with the doctor noting that McLeod "complains of pain in the left knee". In another report, it noted that there was a "foreign body in (his) left knee joint" on November 18, 1918 and that he was somehow declared "Fit for Duty". McLeod was attached to the Canadian Discharge Depot at Buxton for return to Canada, sailing on December 7, 1918 and later taken on strength at District Depot, Military District No. 11 in Vancouver, British Columbia. In his Medical History of an Invalid, dated January 16, 1919 at New Westminster, British Columbia, it was noted that there was a "Foreign body in (the) left knee joint causing slight pain and stiffness in (the) joint." It was recommended the he be placed in Category "E" (unfit for service in Categories A (general service), B (service abroad, not general service) and C (home service (Canada only)) and declared "Medically unfit." It also stated that he was now married to Mary McLeod of Vancouver. He was discharged by reason of "Medical Unfitness" on January 29, 1919 at District Depot, Military District No. 11 in Vancouver, British Columbia, credited with having served in France with the 4th Canadian Mounted Rifles. In his handwritten Will, dated November 17, 1915, it stated that "in the event of my death I give the Balance of my pay to Mrs. John McLeod" and in his Will, dated October 6, 1916, it stated that "I bequeath all my personal estate to my mother, Mrs. Mary McLeod, 27 Habostness Street, Stornoway, Rosshire, Scotland". McLeod died on January 14, 1950, at the age of 66.
Back To Top