Tel: 1(905) 634-3848

Text: 1(905) 906-3848

Purveyors of Authentic Militaria

eMedals-WWI Royal Flying Corps Group to Lieutenant H. Hickson, 206 Squadron

Item: GB1838

WWI Royal Flying Corps Group to Lieutenant H. Hickson, 206 Squadron

Sold For

$1,300

Not available.

WWI Royal Flying Corps Group to Lieutenant H. Hickson, 206 Squadron

WWI Royal Flying Corps Group to Lieutenant H. Hickson, 206 Squadron - Includes three RFC Wings Badges (one is brown and white embroidery on black wool, 31.5 mm x 105 mm; one is a unique version, fabricated from leather in the familiar RFC style, with an "RFC" insignia sewn in place, 40 mm x 97 mm; one is gold and silver wire bullion, with a raised embroidered crown, blue wool behind the "RFC" insignia and the "Royal Flying Corps" ribbon banner, on black wool, 73.5 mm x 134 mm); a pair of RFC Aircrew Triplex Folding Flying Goggles (metal framed with sprung sides, fur backing, both leather side pieces marked in gold "Triplex Safety Glass"’ and their trademark "STG", marked with patent information on the bridge, yellow tinted glass lenses, missing their elasticized strap); an Instruction Booklet entitled "FIGHTING IN THE AIR" (issued by the General Staff, dated "MARCH, 1917." and named "H. Hickson 206 Squadron" on the front and front inside cover, 24 pages); a Royal Air Force (Officers) Central Flying School, Upavon, Wilts., Graduation Certificate (dated February 14, 1918); photograph of Hickson in Uniform; a newspaper article entitled "Air Transport Pioneers, The First British Mail Services" (with a notations in ink at the top of the article, "1919 F/LT HICKSON 18.SQN RHINE ARMY" and "ALSO 206 SQN BICKENDORF"). A fine WWI Royal Flying Corps group, very fine. Footnote: No. 206 Squadron was formed on December 31, 1916 as No. 6 Squadron, Royal Naval Air Service, a fighter unit operating Nieuport 17s and later, Sopwith Camels over the Western Front before disbanding on August 27, 1917. The squadron was reformed on January 1, 1918 as a bomber and reconnaissance unit, operating Airco DH9s. With the establishment of the RAF in 1918 the squadron was renumbered No. 206 Squadron, RAF, being used for photo-reconnaissance in support of the British Second Army and for bombing support during the Allies final offensive. Following the Armistice, it was used to operate an air mail service for the British occupying army in Germany, before being deployed to Helwan, Egypt in June 1919. It was renumbered as 47 Squadron on February 1, 1920. (BMC170)
Back To Top