Tel: 1(905) 634-3848

Text: 1(905) 906-3848

Purveyors of Authentic Militaria

eMedals-WWI Pair to Josaphat Delisle - 3rd Can. Pnr. Bn.

Item: C1301

WWI Pair to Josaphat Delisle - 3rd Can. Pnr. Bn.

Sold For


View Bid History

Not available.

WWI Pair to Josaphat Delisle - 3rd Can. Pnr. Bn.

WWI Pair to Josaphat Delisle - 3rd Can. Pnr. Bn. - British War Medal (417163 PTE. J. DELISLE. CAN. PNR. BN.); and Victory Medal (417163 PTE. J. DELISLE. CAN. PNR. BN.). Naming is officially impressed. Very crisp detail, dark patina on the BWM, original ribbons, gilt wear on the edge of the VM, light contact, better than very fine. Accompanied by a CD containing seventy-five pages with copies of his Index Cards, Attestation Papers, Service Records, Medical Records, Pay Records, Department of Militia and Defence War Gratuity Form (dated March 25, 1919), Military Will and Discharge Certificate.   Footnote: Josaphat (Joseph) Delisle was born on April 3, 1891 in Valleyfield, Quebec. He signed his Attestation Paper with the 57th Regiment, Canadian Engineers on September 27, 1915 in Montreal, Quebec, at the age of 24, naming his next-of-kin as his wife, Sarah Belduc Delisle of Longueuil, Quebec, stating that he had no previous military service, that he was married and that his trade was that of Auto Mechanic. Three days later, he was transferred to the 41st Battalion "Canadiens Francais" on September 30th. The Battalion was raised in Quebec City under the authority of G.O. 86, July 1, 1915, mobilized at Quebec City and sailed October 18th under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel L.A. Archambeault with a strength of 36 officers and 1,082 other ranks, including Private Delisle, aboard the S.S. Saxonia, arriving in England on October 28, 1915. Three weeks later, he was sentenced to Field Punishment No. 1 for being absent without leave at parade at Bramshott, forfeiting one days' pay, on November 12th. Delisle was transferred to the 3rd Canadian Pioneer Battalion on February 19, 1916, landing in France three weeks later, on March 9th. He was nine days in the French theatre, on March 18th, when he suffered a gun shot (shrapnel) wound to his right elbow at Ypres, where there had been a long period of comparative calm, with isolated actions and artillery activity on both sides between June 1915 and June 1917. He was admitted to No. 1 Canadian Field Ambulance, then transferred to No. 1 Casualty Clearing Station the same day. The following day, he was transferred to No. 2 Canadian Stationary Hospital, where the "Shrapnel (was) removed and wound cleaned and packed with gauze." He did endure a fever from the 20th to the 26th, spiking on the 22nd at almost 104 F but eventually it subsided. On March 27th, he was invalided to England aboard the Hospital Ship Cambria, where he was transferred to King George's Hospital, Stamford St., London on the 28th, taken on strength at the Canadian Casualty Assembly Centre at Folkestone on April 4th. After five weeks at King George's Hospital, he was transferred to the Grand Duchess George of Russia Hospital at Harrogate on May 3, 1916, where he was to spend the next five months, before being transferred again, this time to the 2nd Northern General Hospital at Leeds on October 15th, for an additional month's hospitalization. He was subsequently transferred to the Canadian Convalescent Hospital, Woodcote Park at Epsom on November 16, 1916. In his Medical Report of an Invalid, dated December 9, 1916 at Epsom, it confirmed that he was injured at Ypres on "17.3.16 (when) shrapnel struck him on right elbow, shattering the joint, that he was "wounded on active service in the presence of the enemy". It was recommended that he be invalided to Canada, his general health declared to be "good". Although his early operation consisted of "washing out (of the) wound & removal of (the) shrapnel", his disability was determined to be "permanent", that the extent of his capacity for earning a full livelihood in the general labour market lessened at present to "1/2 permanently. Evidence in (his) papers of infection in (the) wound, forearm fixed in position, midway between pronation and supination. Elbow solidly fixed at right angles. Right arm involved." He was discharged December 19th and placed on command to the Canadian Convalescent Depot at Hastings on December 22nd. He ceased to be attached to the CCD and was struck off strength at Buxton for Canada, on January 13, 1917. Three days later, he embarked Liverpool aboard the S.S. Northland on January 16th. In his Proceedings of a Medical Board at Discharge Depot Report, dated January 26, 1917 at Quebec City, Quebec, it was noted that his elbow was fixed at a 90 degree angle, that his degree of incapacity was as 30% and that the condition was permanent. It rendered him permanently unfit for military service, and that an "operation, special treatment or the use of appliances, etc., to lessen incapacity" was approved. His medical paperwork also includes a schematic of the location of his wound, anterior and posterior views. He was discharged from the Army on March 2nd and his pension was granted the following day. Almost nine months went by and Delisle re-attested with the 3rd Canadian Pioneer Battalion, signing his second Attestation Paper on November 30, 1917 at Montreal, naming his wife, Sarah, as his next-of-kin, stating that he had previous military service with the 41st Battalion CEF, that he was married and that his trade was that of Mechanic. He also stated that he had previously been discharged as "Medically Unfit" due to a shrapnel wound to his right elbow. Three weeks later, while at Military District No. 4 Depot in Montreal, he was admitted to Grey Nuns Convalescent Home at Montreal on December 18th. It noted that about November 26th, that Delisle had "noticed pain and swelling below (the) elbow. Abscess on (the) forearm below. X-Ray showed suspicion of dead bone with bony union between bones of elbow joint about a right angle." In his Medical History of an Invalid, dated January 4, 1918 at Montreal, it stated that he had three visible scars, the third of which was at the "site of (the) incision for draining of an abscess, developed about three weeks ago. Movements of the elbow nil, completely ankylosed. Movement of wrist joint normal. Movements of fingers and hand normal, in extent. Loss of power in hand grip, right hand. Right hand 70 lbs., left 130 lbs." He had had three operations for "sepsis" (whole-body inflammatory state) and one month of massage while in England and all seemed relatively fine thereafter. However, "About three weeks ago the arm began to swell and an abscess developed, which was incised at the M.G.H. (Montreal General Hospital) on Dec. 1/17. Wound is now healed." It also noted that it was "impossible (for him) to bring hand or fingers to mouth; feeds himself by (his) left hand." HIs overall capacity was re-estimated at 55% and his condition was once gain declared to be permanent. It was recommended that he be declared Category "E" (unfit for service in Categories A (general service), B (service abroad, not general service) and C (home service (Canada only)) and "That he pass under his own control." Delisle was discharged from Grey Nuns Convalescent Home on January 12, 1918 and put on outpatient status. Ten days later, he was discharged from the Army again, on January 22, 1918 at Montreal, on account of "Medical unfitness due to complete ankylosis (stiffness of a joint due to abnormal adhesion and rigidity of the bones of the joint, the result of injury or disease. The rigidity may be complete or partial and may be due to inflammation of the tendinous or muscular structures outside the joint or of the tissues of the joint itself) of his right elbow, Authority H.Q. 4D.22-D-424. Dated Jan. 11th 1918 and in accordance with instructions in Circular Letter N. 285 H.Q. 16-1-25 December 15/1917.", stamped by the Military Hospitals Commission Command, on February 6, 1918. In his Military Will, written in French and dated February 14, 1916, he stated "Si je meurt en service actif je donne toute mes biens a mon epouse Sarah Delisle" (If I die in active service I give all my goods to my wife Sarah Delisle). As he was declared Class 3, his pension was granted on March 3, 1917 and his pay was adjusted to March 2, 1917, so that "payment of pension may commence immediately after the date to which pay has been adjusted." He was also paid a War Gratuity of $160.
Back To Top