Tel: 1(905) 634-3848

Text: 1(905) 906-3848

Purveyors of Authentic Militaria

eMedals-WWI 1914/15 Star - Lieutenant Grayson

Item: GB2722

WWI 1914/15 Star - Lieutenant Grayson

Sold For


View Bid History

Not available.

WWI 1914/15 Star - Lieutenant Grayson

WWI 1914/15 Star - Lieutenant Grayson - (1427 GNR. H.B. GRAYSON. R.F.A.). Naming is officially impressed. Light contact, extremely fine. Accompanied by thirty-three pages with copies of his Royal Field Artillery Territorial Force Attestation Paper, Service Records, Medical Records, Protection Certificate - Officer (dated April 11, 1919), Index Card (acknowledging his eligibility for the 1914-15 Star, BWM and VM) and one page from the London Gazette.  Footnote: Henry Brook Grayson was born on November 7, 1892 in St. George's, Sheffield, Yorkshire, the son of Henry Edward Grayson (Bookmaker) and Lillian Grayson of Sheffield. He was educated at Central Secondary School in Sheffield and worked as a Shipping Clerk before the war. He enlisted as a Gunner (1427, later 785394) in the 3rd West Riding Regiment, Royal Field Artillery on September 1, 1914, stating that he had no previous military service, that he was single, and enlisting under the name "Henry Brook Grayson" but in later documents, is referred to as "Harry Brook Grayson". His Brigade was embodied the next day and disembarked Southampton for the French theatre seven months later, on April 15, 1915, arriving in Le Havre on the 16th. In early 1916, his Brigade was re-designated 'D' Battery, 247th Brigade, Royal Field Artillery, Territorial Force. Grayson was evacuated "sick" with Diphtheria (upper respiratory tract illness caused by Corynebacterium diphtheriae, a facultative anaerobic, Gram-positive bacterium) to England on August 4, 1916, assigned to the 95th Depot Brigade and placed as a patient in the North Evington Military Hospital in Leicester, from September 4 to 30, 1916 with "Debility". After being discharged from hospital, he was posted to the 1st Reserve Brigade, Royal Field Artillery on October 10, 1916. Grayson returned to hospital, this time to Brighton Grove Military Hospital at Newcastle-upon-Tyne with a severe case of Gonorrhea, forcing him to be hospitalized for six weeks (January 6 to February 15, 1917). He rejoined his unit on May 24th, returning to France and was assigned to the Base Depot. Two weeks later, he was assigned to 'D' Battery, 124th Brigade, Royal Field Artillery, 37th Division on June 3rd and served in France until returning to England on September 23, 1917, where he was transferred to the 5G Reserve Brigade, Royal Field Artillery on September 26th. He returned to the North Evington Military Hospital in Leicester and was hospitalized for four days (December 18 to 22, 1917), suffering from Angina (chest pain due to ischemia of the heart muscle, generally due to obstruction or spasm of the coronary arteries). The following year, he was assigned to the 2nd Royal Field Artillery Cadet School at Exeter on January 25, 1918 and attended the Artillery School of Instruction at Larkhill from June 17th to July 18th. Grayson was commissioned a 2nd Lieutenant in the Royal Field Artillery (July 22, 1918; London Gazette 9322, August 7, 1918) and returned to France with No. 2 Section of the 42nd Divisional Artillery Column. He was demobilized on April 12, 1919 and is documented as residing in Sheffield. 
Back To Top