Tel: 1(905) 634-3848

Text: 1(905) 906-3848

Purveyors of Authentic Militaria

The Dr. Albert Goodwin Collection

The Dr. Albert Goodwin Collection

eMedals is pleased to present the important collection of Dr.Albert Goodwin. Carefully and meticulously assembled during the mid 20th Century, The Goodwin Collection represents the pinnacle of medals & orders collecting. This preeminent collection is composed of only the highest quality awards and stands alone in the global collecting community. Orders and medals of historical significance are extensive. eMedals is pleased to present The Goodwin Collection to the global market through an ongoing auction event beginning October 2017.
Dr.Goodwin, former President of OMSA, was born on December 17, 1899 in New York City, New York, the son of Mr. and Mrs. P. Goodwin. He had one brother, Edgar P. Goodwin. He attended New York City schools and was a graduate of Union College in Schenectady, New York. Goodwin enlisted in the United States Army in February 1918 for service during the First World War, at the age of 18. He was posted to the Panama Canal Zone, as part of the American forces, charged with protecting the Panama Canal, serving in the Medical Department. He was discharged in November 1919 in the rank of Sergeant First Class. After the war, he became Assistant Principal of Ballston Lake High School in 1925 and Principal of Galway High School in 1926 and 1927. Goodwin entered Albany Medical College in Albany, New York, in September 1928 and interned at Nathan Littauer Hospital in Gloversville, New York, beginning his medical practice in the city in 1933. He was married to Barbara H. Goodwin (nee Weiss, January 7, 1895 - February 9, 1977). As of the 1940 Census, the family was residing in Gloversville, New York and had a servant, Elsie Hill. During the Second World War, he was a Captain and later, a Major, acting as Commanding Officer of 92nd Station Hospital, United States Army Medical Corps, possibly seeing service in Europe. After the war, he returned to Gloversville, resuming his medical practice. He was a member of the Fulton County Medical Society, the New York Academy of Medicine, was on the Board of Directors of the Fulton County Laboratory for several years and was on the staff of both Nathan Littauer Hospital in Gloversville and Mount Sinai Hospital in New York City. He was served as a physician for the Gloversville schools for several years and was Instructor in the Student Nurses Training Program at the Nathan Littauer Hospital School of Nursing. He worked on establishing the Fulton County Blood Bank and was its Director in 1965. For his work in blood research, he was made a Fellow of the International Haematological Society. Dr. Goodwin served as City Health Commissioner of Gloversville and at the time of his death in 1967, was the health officer for the City of Gloversville and for the Town of Johnstown. Dr. Goodwin was a member of the Orders and Medals Society of America (OMSA), serving as its Vice President (1957-1959) and President (1960-1961). While he was President, he was instrumental in the organization of the first OMSA Convention in 1960, held in Gloversville. He was also Past President of NYODS, a member of the American Society of Military Collectors, the International Orders Research Society and the American Numismatic Society. At the time of his death, he was engaged in writing an encyclopedia on the Orders of Knighthood. He was also a member for many years of the Lions Club, the Elks Lodge and the Eccentric Club.

Total items found 2532

  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5

Total items found 2532

  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5

Back To Top