Tel: 1 (905) 634-3848

Text: 1 (905) 906-3848

Purveyors of Authentic Militaria

eMedals-Canada. A Military Medal to Private Gibson, 4th Inf., For Gallant Service as a Stretcher Bearer at Passchendaele

Item: C5037

Canada. A Military Medal to Private Gibson, 4th Inf., For Gallant Service as a Stretcher Bearer at Passchendaele



Optional Payments Available

Layaway PolicyItem is available for our layaway plan.

Installments to be paid every month.
Your CC will be charged automatic.
We don't save your CC details. You are secure.

* Final amount varies depending on shipping, tax & other charges.

Layaway Policy

eMedals INC. is pleased to offer flexible layaway services to all clients. Our layaway program offers the opportunity for clients to make payments on eligible items over a period of three (3) months.

A minimum deposit of 30% of the total price of your order including all applicable taxes and Buyer’s Premium, is due at the time of initial purchase. The total price of your order must be paid within three months from the date of original purchase.

You may make additional payments at any time by accessing the Layaway section in your account or by calling our office and submitting payment details.

Your contract will be automatically cancelled and ordered merchandise will be returned to inventory if full payment is not submitted by the three (3) month deadline.

Payment methods include; Cheque, Wire Transfer, Paypal, or Credit Card.

0% Buyer's Premium

eMedals proudly ships worldwide, see our shipping information

What's a max bid?

Your maximum bid should be the highest amount you're willing to pay for an item.

Your entered maximum bid will not be disclosed to the seller or other auction participants at any point.

Max bidding example:

If the current auction price is $100 dollars and you place a maximum bid of $120 dollars, the system will bid $101 dollars on your behalf.

If no other participant places a bid, you win that auction lot for $101 dollars.

If another auction participant places a bid of $110 dollars, the system will subsequently place a bid of $111 dollars on your behalf. The system will continue to bid in $1.00 dollar increments until your maximum bid of $120 dollars is exceeded.

If another auction participant places a bid for $125 dollars, the auction lot price will display $121 dollars having exceeded your previously submitted maximum bid by $1.00 dollar.

Buyer's Premium

All bids are subject to a Buyer's Premium which is in addition to the placed successful bid. The following rate of Buyer's Premium will be added to the Hammer Price of each Lot that you purchase:

Twenty percent (20%) of the Hammer Price

Canada. A Military Medal to Private Gibson, 4th Inf., For Gallant Service as a Stretcher Bearer at Passchendaele

Canada; George V (769203 Pte. F. GIBSON. 4/CAN:INF:). Naming is officially impressed. Replacement ribbon, edge nicks, bruised, contact marks, very fine. Accompanied by copies of his Index Cards, Attestation Paper, Service Records, Medical Records, Pay Records and Discharge Certificates, along with assorted research papers.
Footnote: Frank Gibson was born in Toronto on April 24, 1893 in Toronto, Ontario, the son of James Gibson of Toronto, who was alive when he enlisted, his mother deceased before he enlisted. He signed his Attestation Paper as a Private (769203) with the 124th Infantry Battalion "Governor General's Body Guard", on December 27, 1915 in Toronto, at the age of 22, naming nis next-of-kin as his wife, Lillian Gibson of Toronto, stating that he had no previous military service, that he was Married, that his religion was Roman Catholic and his trade as that of Driver & Teamster. The couple had one girl, Marguerite Gibson, age 3 as of August 1916. The Battalion was raised and mobilized in Toronto, Ontario under the authority of G.O. 151, December 22, 1915. The Battalion sailed from Halifax, Nova Scotia aboard the S.S. Cameronian on August 9, 1916, under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel W.C.V. Chadwick with a strength of 32 officers and 1,004 other ranks, arriving in Liverpool, England on the 18th. In England, the 124th Infantry Battalion was re-designated the 124th Pioneer Battalion. Two months after arriving in England, Gibson was transferred to the 4th Infantry Battalion for overseas service on October 10, 1916. He was taken on strength at the Canadian Base Depot in France on the 11th, leaving for his new unit in the field on November 1st and joining them on the 4th. Private Gibsonreported "sick" on January 18, 1917 and was admitted to No. 12 Canadian Field Ambulance, where he was diagnosed with a case of "Influenza". Three days later, he was transferred and admitted to No. 13 Canadian Field Ambulance on January 21st and after four days, he was discharged on the 25th, rejoining his unit. Three months later, he entered hospital for a second time, admitted to No. 26 General Hospital at Etaples on April 14, 1917 with a "Skin Disease", which was later defined as "Impetigo" (a bacterial skin infection that causes red sores that can break open, ooze fluid, and develop a yellow-brown crust, which can occur anywhere on the body). After nine days treatment, he was discharged to Base Details on the 23rd. Private Gibson left for the 1st Pioneer Battalion, Royal Canadian Engineers on June 23, 1917, arriving with them on the 25th. After two months with the 1st Pioneer Battalion, he left for the 4th Infantry Battalion in the field on August 24th, arriving with them the same day. Private Gibson was serving with the 4th Infantry Battalion as a stretcher bearer during the Battle of Passchendaele on November 6 and 7, when he was recommended for the Military Medal for his gallant actions, the original recommendation stating: "For bravery and devotion to duty during operations of 6-7 November 1917, at PASSCHENDAELE.
During the operations of the 6th and 7th, this man was stretcher bearer of No. 4 Platoon. On the morning of the 6th the other stretcher bearer of this platoon was wounded and a double burden of work was therefore devolved upon Private GIBSON. On both days the shell-fire was of a most severe nature and the work carried out by this man was an extreme ordeal. He continued to dress the wounded and assist in carrying them out for forty-eight hours without rest, and his conduct was beyond praise. During the whole time he was untiring in his efforts and displayed the highest courage. But for him, it is impossible to imagine what might have happened to the wounded; and the work of a good stretcher bearer, and this soldier in particular, cannot be over-estimated. His devotion to duty and perseverance were a high example to all those with whom he came in contact." He was subsequently awarded the Military Medal, the announcement appearing in the Second Supplement to the London Gazette 30573 of Tuesday, March 12, 1918, on Wednesday, March 13, 1918, page 3251. Upon the ceasing of hostilities, he was granted fourteen days' leave to the United Kingdom on December 22, 1918 and was posted to the 1st Central Ontario Regimental Depot at Witley. It was during this leave that he "was with a woman" in London. In February 1919, he was treated at Witley for "V.D.S."(venereal disease, gonorrhea), which he had contacted while on leave in England the previous December. The doctor noted that Gibson had "Diphtheria" (a serious bacterial infection usually affecting the mucous membranes of the nose and throat) as a child. He was treated and declared Category "A" (Fit for General Service). The following month, he was admitted to hospital a fourth time, this time to No. 12 Canadian General Hospital at Bramshott Military Hospital on March 20, 1919, with a case of "Tonsilitis", his stay at Bramshott lasting two weeks, before being transferred to the Canadian Special Hospital at Witley on April 3rd. He would recuperate for the next three weeks at Witley, before being discharged on April 23rd.
While in hospital at Witley, he was sentenced to twenty-eight days Field Punishment No. 1 on April 4, 1918, "for whilst on Active Service, overstaying (his) leave from 30-12-17 (December 30, 1917) to 2-1-18 (January 2, 1918)", along with forfeiting three days' pay, the leave where he had contacted gonorrhea. Upon his release from hospital, he was posted to the 1st Central Ontario Regimental Depot at Ripon, where he was admonished five days later, on April 28th, forced to forfeit one days' pay for being Absent Without Leave for twenty-one hours, on April 28, 1919. Private Gibson was struck off strength to "O" Wing at Witley on May 25, 1919, then struck off strength of the Overseas Military Forces of Canada, on proceeding to Canada, embarking Glasgow, Scotland aboard the S.S. Saturnia on July 25, 1919, arriving in Montreal, Quebec on August 4th. Private Frank Gibson was discharged upon demobilization at Dispersal Station "I", Military District No. 2 in Toronto, on August 7, 1919, credited with having served in Canada, England, France and Belgium, entitled to wear the War Service Badge, Class "A", number 389040. For his First World War service, he was awarded the British War Medal and the Victory Medal. 
Back To Top