Tel: 1 (905) 634-3848

Text: 1 (905) 906-3848

Purveyors of Authentic Militaria

eMedals-A First War Medal Pair to Major George F. Stephens C.A.M.C.Consgin: 17

Item: C2496

A First War Medal Pair to Major George F. Stephens C.A.M.C.Consgin: 17


0% Buyer's Premium

eMedals proudly ships worldwide, see our shipping information

What's a max bid?

Your maximum bid should be the highest amount you're willing to pay for an item.

Your entered maximum bid will not be disclosed to the seller or other auction participants at any point.

Max bidding example:

If the current auction price is $100 dollars and you place a maximum bid of $120 dollars, the system will bid $101 dollars on your behalf.

If no other participant places a bid, you win that auction lot for $101 dollars.

If another auction participant places a bid of $110 dollars, the system will subsequently place a bid of $111 dollars on your behalf. The system will continue to bid in $1.00 dollar increments until your maximum bid of $120 dollars is exceeded.

If another auction participant places a bid for $125 dollars, the auction lot price will display $121 dollars having exceeded your previously submitted maximum bid by $1.00 dollar.

Buyer's Premium

All bids are subject to a Buyer's Premium which is in addition to the placed successful bid. The following rate of Buyer's Premium will be added to the Hammer Price of each Lot that you purchase:

Twenty percent (20%) of the Hammer Price

A First War Medal Pair to Major George F. Stephens C.A.M.C.Consgin: 17

A First War Medal Pair to Major George F. Stephens C.A.M.C. - British War Medal (MAJOR G.F. STEPHENS.); and and Victory Medal (MAJOR G.F. STEPHENS.). Naming is officially impressed. Original ribbons, each with their own individual pinbacks, light contact, cleaned, better than very fine. Accompanied by assorted research papers.   Footnote: George Finlay Stephens was born on November 16, 1885 in Winnipeg, Manitoba. He graduated in Medicine from McGill University in 1907, at the age of 21, and after some postgraduate work in Europe, he began private practice in Canada. He also played football at McGill and later, for the Winnipeg Rowing Club football team. Stephens was commissioned as a Lieutenant with No. 10 Reserve Depot, Canadian Army Medical Corps Headquarters in Winnipeg, on September 5, 1914, as part of the Non-Permanent Active Militia, before joining the Canadian Expeditionary Force for overseas service. He signed his Attestation Paper as a Captain, on May 8, 1915, in Winnipeg, at the age of 29, naming his next-of-kin as his wife, Mary Stephens c/o G.F. Stephens Company of Winnipeg, stating that he previous military service with the 16th Canadian Field Artillery and the Canadian Army Medical Corps, that he was married and that his trade was that of Physician. He was named Temporary Officer Commanding the CAMC Depot on June 10, 1915 and posted to the Voluntary Aid Detachment Hospital at Shorncliffe on June 27th. He followed that with a posting to the Royal Herbert Hospital at Woolwich from November 8 to 13, 1915. Early in the new year, he was struck off strength to No. 3 Casualty Clearing Station in France on February 21, 1916. He concluded his first stint in the French theatre, a total of eight months, upon being transferred to Canadian Training Division Headquarters in the United Kingdom and placed with the Canadian Army Medical Corps Training School, on October 28, 1916. Three days later, he was named Acting Deputy Assistant Director of Medical Services on October 31st. Stephens began 1917 with a posting to the Director of Medical Services Office on January 24th, followed by an attachment to the Assistant Director of Medical Services for the London area on March 22nd and to the Canadian Army Medical Corps (CAMC) Depot on April 11th. His war service in Europe was briefly interrupted, returning to duty in Canada on June 28, 1917, under the Director of Medical Services Branch (Dental), before returning to the European theatre. Stephens was promoted to Major on April 1, 1918. He relinquished his appointment as Deputy Assistant Director of Medical Services onNovember 10th and was and struck off strength to the CAMC Reserve Training Depot, returning to service in France with No. 3 Casualty Clearing Station. After five months in France, he was transferred to the CAMC Casualty Company on March 21, 1919, attached to the King's Canadian Red Cross Hospital on March 26th and No. 16 General Hospital on March 27th. He is credited with having served thirteen months in France and Belgium (February 23, 1916 to October 28, 1916 and November 10, 1918 to March 21, 1919). Stephens returned from overseas service aboard the S.S. Megantic, on May 23, 1919, demobilized on June 20th at Military District No. 10 in Winnipeg and placed on the Reserve of Officers List the following day. After the war, he began his career in hospital administration, taking the position of Superintendent of Winnipeg General Hospital in 1921, remaining there until 1940. He also held the rank of Major (Officer Commanding) with No. 10 Reserve Depot (CAMC) from December 15, 1924, to late 1928. Stephens was placed on the Reserve of Officers List (CAMC) on April 20, 1929 and still appeared on it as of 1935. During the Second World War, Dr. Stephens was doing administrative work at Royal Victoria Hospital in Montreal, Quebec beginning in 1940. In addition to being a graduate of McGill University, he was also appointed to its Board of Governors of the University, as well as being the Superintendent of the Hospital. He received the Award of Merit of the American Hospital Association for 1946 and was a pioneer in the Blue Cross plan of group hospitalization and medical care. His interest in Blue Cross began in 1933, when he was President of the American Hospital Association and the first plan to be organized in Canada was with his co-operation in Manitoba. His interest in the Quebec plan began with his arrival at the Royal Victoria Hospital, when he found that some groundwork had been accomplished by the Junior Board of Trade. Dr. Stephens was married to Mary Stephens and had four children, one son and three daughters. He died on April 29, 1948, at the age of 62. In addition to his First World War pair, he was awarded the Jubilee Medal 1935 and the Coronation Medal 1937, which are not included here.
Back To Top