Tel: 1 (905) 634-3848

Text: 1 (905) 906-3848

Purveyors of Authentic Militaria

  • A Father & Son KIA Group with Belgian War Cross
  • A Father & Son KIA Group with Belgian War Cross
  • A Father & Son KIA Group with Belgian War Cross
  • A Father & Son KIA Group with Belgian War Cross
  • A Father & Son KIA Group with Belgian War Cross

Item: C0445

A Father & Son KIA Group with Belgian War Cross


0% Buyer's Premium

eMedals proudly ships worldwide, see our shipping information

What's a max bid?

Your maximum bid should be the highest amount you're willing to pay for an item.

Your entered maximum bid will not be disclosed to the seller or other auction participants at any point.

Max bidding example:

If the current auction price is $100 dollars and you place a maximum bid of $120 dollars, the system will bid $101 dollars on your behalf.

If no other participant places a bid, you win that auction lot for $101 dollars.

If another auction participant places a bid of $110 dollars, the system will subsequently place a bid of $111 dollars on your behalf. The system will continue to bid in $1.00 dollar increments until your maximum bid of $120 dollars is exceeded.

If another auction participant places a bid for $125 dollars, the auction lot price will display $121 dollars having exceeded your previously submitted maximum bid by $1.00 dollar.

Buyer's Premium

All bids are subject to a Buyer's Premium which is in addition to the placed successful bid. The following rate of Buyer's Premium will be added to the Hammer Price of each Lot that you purchase:

Twenty percent (20%) of the Hammer Price

A Father & Son KIA Group with Belgian War Cross

Arthur Samuel Dyson: 1914 Star (1721 PTE A.S. DYSON. 1/13 LOND:R.); British War and Victory Medals (1721 PTE. A.S. DYSON. 13-LOND.R.); and Belgian War Cross (unnamed). Unmounted, dark patinas, extremely fine. Accompanied by three cloth supported ribbon bars with ribbons of the latter three medals and copies of the Roll of Individuals Entitled to Medals and the Confidential War Diary of the 13th Kensington Battalion, The London Regiment, May 1-31, 1915. James Arthur Dyson: Canadian Volunteer Service Medal (unnamed), War Medal 1939-1945 (unnamed); Korea Medal (J.A. DYSON 51572 'H'); United Nations Korea Medal (J.A. DYSON 51572 'H'); Canadian Centennial Medal (unnamed); and Canadian Forces Decoration (PO 1/C J.A. DYSON). Very crisp detail, high relief, plated, court mounted with swing bar pinback, ready for wearing, extremely fine; plus Canadian Volunteer Service Medal for Korea (unnamed) in Box of Issue, near mint. Accompanied by a Canadian Forces Decoration Bar, a Naval Cap Badge, a Submariner Badge, an HMCS Bonaventure Plaque Mounted Badge, his wallet size Certificate of Service with photo and copies of his Service Records, Application for the Award of the Canadian Forces Decoration and Death Certificate. Footnote: Private Arthur Samuel Dyson was with the 13th Kensington Battalion, London Regiment, who began the month of May 1915 in the trenches at Picantin and by the 4th, were encountering German shrapnel. They eventually moved on to Bac St. Maur the next day, which was very hot and stuffy. By May 7, the Battalion prepared to go into action and at 6:50 in the evening, the operation was postponed for twenty-four hours. On the 8th, final touches were being put to their preparations for battle, with C Company going to the trenches accompanied by a wire cutting party, in the early evening, to complete preparations there. The Battalion paraded and marched off to the trenches, with the men in excelllent spirits an hour before midnight, plus a check at 2:00 am confirming that the wire had been cut and the Batttalion was ready for action. The inevitable bombardment of Delangre Farm, their chief objective, began at 5:00 am on the 9th, with the Kensington Battalion assaulting the enemy's trenches. They found the German position heavily fortified, hardly touched by British guns. By 7:00 am, the Regiment found themselves under heavy machine gun and rifle fire, with no ground support, a machine gun disabled and their supply of bombs depleted. They sent a desperate plea to headquarters: "Have exhausted every available reinforcement". A half hour later, at 9:00 am, they had their answer, that the "2nd Scottish Rifles moving to support you. You have done splendidly." Their support and ammunition, however, did not come, with the enemy breaking through the blocked trench just before noon and bombed them out of their next traverse, experiencing heavy casulties. An hour later, the Germans poured into the trenches and pushed the line back, forcing them to retire. A message was sent to Bridage Headquarters at 3:55 pm: "Under the orders of Brigadier General Pinney, the remnants of the battalion estimated at about 50 strong are in process of rendez-vous in the redoubts near Cellar Farm. A few more are in the crater and may be able to get out." After being behind Cellar Farm nine hours, and being shelled the whole time, the Battalion was ordered to billet at Croix Blanche, then moved to Bac St. Maur, where they assessed their losses the next day: Officers (Killed, 9; Wounded 4) and Men (Killed, 86; Wounded 105; Wounded and Missing, 84; Missing 138), a staggering total of 426. Among the dead was Private Dyson, Killed in Action on May 9, 1915 and remembered with honour at the Ploegsteert Memorial in Comines-Warneton, Hainaut, Belgium. James Arthur Dyson was born January 26, 1927 in Winnipeg, Manitoba. He joined the Royal Canadian Naval Volunteer Reserve, seeing service aboard HMCS Carleton, beginning in December 1944. He was listed for immediate demoblization on September 15, 1945, serving until the following November, a total of 351 days. He joined the Royal Canadian Navy in January 1947, finding himself soon after in the Korean War theatre, from August 6, 1951 to January 15, 1953 aboard HMCS Nootka. He served on many ships and bases, including HMCS Chippawa, Stadacona, Niobe, Naden, Cayuga, Rockcliffe, Nootka (in Korea), Magnificent, Dolphin, Maidstone, Springer, Alliance, St. Croix and Margaree and took upgrade courses throughout his career. Petty Officer Dyson is documented has having volunteered for submarine service in March 1959, as he had been undergoing the Chief Petty Officer First and Second Class, Radio Technician's Qualifying Course but was denied, as there was no vacancy. He retired from service in January 1972, a veteran of the Korean War and with a total of over twenty-five years in the Royal Canadian Naval Volunteer Reserve and the Royal Canadian Navy combined. He died June 4, 1995 in Edmonton, Alberta, at the age of 68.
Back To Top