LZ 127 Graf Zeppelin Postcard, 1929
Plain postcard, stamped "LUFTSCHIFF GRAF ZEPPELIN, MITTELMEERRFAHRT (Mediterranean Cruise) 1929" with a graphic of the Graf Zeppelinflying over a tropical setting, an Air Mail label inscribed "MIT LUFTPOST, PAR AVION" below, postmarked April 22, 1929 at Friedrichshafen, one One Mark German stamp, addressed in black ink, address difficult to decipher, message on the other side, on card stock, 105 mm x 149 mm, extremely fine. Footnote: LZ 127 Graf Zeppelin was a German-built and -operated, passenger-carrying, hydrogen-filled, rigid airship which operated commercially from 1928 to 1937. It was named after the German pioneer of airships, Ferdinand von Zeppelin, who was a "Graf" or Count in the German nobility. During its operating life, the airship made 590 flights covering more than a million miles (1.6 million km). It was designed to be operated by a crew of 36 officers and men. In early 1929 the airship made two trips over the Mediterranean. On the first trip to the eastern Mediterranean in late March 1929, it carried 25 passengers and 16,000 letters to make four mail drops at Jaffa, Athens, Budapest and Vienna. The airship flew over Palestine, Egypt and Athens before returning to Friedrichshafen after completing a journey of 5,000 miles (8,000 km) in 81 hours. The second Mediterranean cruise took place in late April, flying over France, Spain, Portugal and Tangier. The airship returned to Friedrichshafen after flying north over Cannes and Lyons in a flight of 57 hours.