Tel: 1(905) 634-3848

Text: 1(905) 906-3848

Purveyors of Authentic Militaria

eMedals-First War Victory Medal - 2 Canadian Infantry

Item: C0692

First War Victory Medal - 2 Canadian Infantry

Sold For


View Bid History

Not available.

First War Victory Medal - 2 Canadian Infantry

(7911 PTE. C.E. TENNEY. 2-CAN.INF.). Naming is officially impressed. Near extremely fine. Accompanied by copies of his Attestation Paper, Medical Records, Service Records, Pay Records and Discharge Certificates. Footnote: Charles Edward Tenney was born on July 25, 1876 in Stittsville, Ontario. He signed his Attestation Paper on September 22, 1914 at Valcartier, Quebec with the 2nd Battalion, at the age of 38, stating that he belonged to an active militia, that he was married and that his trade was that of Carpenter. The 2nd Battalion was raised in Eastern Ontario with mobilization headquarters at Camp Valcartier, Quebec under the authority of P.C.O. 2067, August 6, 1914. The Battalion sailed from Quebec City aboard the S.S. Cassandra, bound for England on October 3, 1914 with a strength of 45 officers and 1,098 other ranks, including Tenney, under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel D. Watson, for service in France and Belgium. He proceeded to France on February 9, 1915 and was fined seven day's pay for disobedience of orders in the field on May 24, 1915. It was noted in his medical report dated December 1918, that his health problems began in April 1915, "While in the trenches was gassed April 1915, came back of lines and went to Arques, France for eye treatment from there to Rouen, for debility. Then to Tapleau Hospital sent to Hinckesbridge Convalescent Home, England, discharge to Shornecliffe, Dec. 1916 to duty." Between July and October 1915, he was treated at various medical facilities in France and England for eye issues, being dignosed with myopia (nearsightedness) and ametrophia (a condition characterized by an optic defect involving an error of refraction), along with fatigue, being diagnosed with neurasthenia (exhaustion of the central nervous system's energy reserves). Along the way, glasses were prescribed. He spent the remainder of the war in England, being taken on strength at Shornecliffe in October 1915, and later, being struck off strength on being posted to the General Depot at London on January 26, 1918. In that same medical report of December 1918, it was stated that he "might do surface work with limitations." Aside from his medical issues, it was noted in mid-May 1917, that "having completed two years with good conduct (he) is entitled to wear one Good Conduct Badge." Tenney embarked Liverpool aboard the S.S. Scandinavian, returning Canada on November 19, 1918. Upon conclusions drawn by the medical board, he was discharged from active service "by reason of being medically unfit for further War Service" on January 4, 1919 at Kingston, Ontario, credited with having served his country in Canada, the United Kingdom and France.
Back To Top