Tel: 1(905) 634-3848

Text: 1(905) 906-3848

Purveyors of Authentic Militaria

eMedals-First War Trio to the 19th Canadian Infantry

Item: C1112

First War Trio to the 19th Canadian Infantry

Sold For


View Bid History

Not available.

First War Trio to the 19th Canadian Infantry

First War Trio to the 19th Canadian Infantry - 1914-15 Star (55627 Pte A.J. HEROD. 19/CAN:INF:); British War Medal (55627 PTE. A.J. HEROD. 19-CAN.INF.); and Victory Medal (55627 PTE. A.J. HEROD. 19-CAN.INF.). Naming is officially impressed. Very crisp detail, dark patina and edge nicks on the BWM, original ribbons, mounted to a suspension bar with swing bar pinback, as worn by the veteran, bar maker marked "SHIRBRO", light contact, better than very fine. Accompanied by eleven pages with copies of his Index Cards, Attestation Paper, Service Records, Medical Records, Discharge Certificate and Will.  Footnote: Albert John Herod was born on December 21, 1889 in Croydon, England. He signed his Attestation Paper on November 11, 1914 in Toronto, Ontario with the 19th Infantry Battalion, naming his next-of-kin as his mother, Mrs. Rosie Herod of Croydon (which was later changed to his wife, Mrs. Mabel Herod of West Brantford, Ontario), stating that he has one years' previous service with the 32nd Battalion, Canadian Field Artillery, that he was married and that his trade was that of Metal Worker. The Battalion was raised and mobilized in Toronto under the authority of G.O. 36, March 15, 1915 and sailed May 13th aboard the S.S. Scandinavian, with a strength of 41 officers and 1,073 other ranks, including Private Herod, under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel J.J. McLaren, arriving in England on May 22nd. After almost four months in England, Herod embarked for France on September 14, 1915 and it was here that his health soon declined. He incurred an infection while in the trenches at Deavgute R.E. Farm in that first week in Europe. In the three to four days beginning on September 21st, he was experiencing "pains in the neck & back of (his) head", combined with "burning eyes", as documented in his Medical History of an Invalid, dated February 14, 1916. He was admitted to No. 10 Stationary Hospital at St. Omer on the 25th, and listed as "dangerously ill" with Cerebro Spinal Meningitis, causing a Debility. He was transferred to No. 14 Stationary Hospital at Wimereux, on October 6th, where a lumbar puncture was performed and his condition stabilized, to the point where he was finally declared "out of danger". After three weeks, he was invalided to England on October 31st, arriving at the Central Military Hospital at Shorncliffe on November 2nd and transferred to the 36th Reserve Battalion the same day. It was in the opinion of the Medical Board, that since Herod had lost thirty pounds in weight, that he was experiencing pains in his limbs and that he probably had no organic disability, they forecast that it would take an additional twelve to twenty-four months for him to recover. After three and a half months at Shorncliffe, he was transferred to the Canadian Casualty Assembly Centre at Folkestone on February 17, 1916. He was again transferred after three more weeks, to the Canadian Convalescent Depot for discharge on March 7th. Herod embarked Liverpool, England for Canada on March 11th and after seven weeks treatment in Canada, was discharged from service on October 22, 1916 at Toronto, as being "Medically Unfit. Class III." His Will, dated June 13, 1915, stated that "In the event of my death I give the whole of my property & effects to my wife, Mrs. M. Herod, 64 Richardson Street, West Brantford, Ontario, Canada." Fortunately for Herod, he survived his brush with death and the Will was never executed. He was issued the Trio for his war service.
Back To Top