Tel: 1 (905) 634-3848

Text: 1 (905) 906-3848

Purveyors of Authentic Militaria

  • First War Group to the PPCLI - Twice Wounded
  • First War Group to the PPCLI - Twice Wounded
  • First War Group to the PPCLI - Twice Wounded
  • First War Group to the PPCLI - Twice Wounded
  • First War Group to the PPCLI - Twice Wounded

Item: C1273

First War Group to the PPCLI - Twice Wounded


0% Buyer's Premium

eMedals proudly ships worldwide, see our shipping information

What's a max bid?

Your maximum bid should be the highest amount you're willing to pay for an item.

Your entered maximum bid will not be disclosed to the seller or other auction participants at any point.

Max bidding example:

If the current auction price is $100 dollars and you place a maximum bid of $120 dollars, the system will bid $101 dollars on your behalf.

If no other participant places a bid, you win that auction lot for $101 dollars.

If another auction participant places a bid of $110 dollars, the system will subsequently place a bid of $111 dollars on your behalf. The system will continue to bid in $1.00 dollar increments until your maximum bid of $120 dollars is exceeded.

If another auction participant places a bid for $125 dollars, the auction lot price will display $121 dollars having exceeded your previously submitted maximum bid by $1.00 dollar.

Buyer's Premium

All bids are subject to a Buyer's Premium which is in addition to the placed successful bid. The following rate of Buyer's Premium will be added to the Hammer Price of each Lot that you purchase:

Twenty-Two Percent (22%) of the Hammer Price

First War Group to the PPCLI - Twice Wounded

First War Group to the PPCLI - Twice Wounded - 1914-15 Star (51227 Pte F.O. HAMILTON. 16/CAN:INF:); British War Medal (51227 PTE. F.O. HAMILTON. 16-CAN.INF.); and Victory Medal (51227 PTE. F.O. HAMILTON. 16/CAN.INF.). Naming is officially impressed. Unmounted, cleaned, light contact, court mounted, better than very fine. Accompanied by a CD containing twenty-one pages with copies of his Index Cards, Attestation Paper, Service Records, Medical Records and Discharge Certificates.  Footnote: Frederick Ord Hamilton was born on February 15, 1880 in Feering, Essex, England. His pre-war service was in the Militia at Victoria, British Columbia with the 5th BC Regiment, Canadian Garrison Artillery and the 88th Victoria Fusiliers (No. 952). He originally enlisted with the Victoria Fusiliers on September 23, 1914, then attested for service in the CEF, first in November 1914 and was assigned to the 500 Draft Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Reinforcements (but does not appear on the PPCLI rolls), later posted to the 16th Infantry Battalion on November 6th. He signed his Attestation Paper with the 16th Infantry Battalion "Canadian Scottish" on February 9, 1915, at Tidworth, England, naming his next-of-kin as his father, Captain Andrew Hamilton of Hove, Sussex, England, stating that he has five years' service with the Canadian Garrison Artillery, that he was not married and that his trade was that of Farmer. He left Halifax for England on January 20, 1915, arriving on February 2nd and was posted to the 7th Reserve Battalion on February 8th, where he re-attested at Tidworth the next day and was later transferred to the 16th Infantry Battalion at Rouen, France. He was wounded in action on May 1, 1915, suffering a gun shot wound (shrapnel) in the back and left auxilla (armpit). He was admitted to No. 8 General Hospital on May 2nd, then invalided to England at York Military Hospital on May 7th, where he was to spend the next four months. He was transferred on September 7th to the Duchess of Connaught's Canadian Red Cross Hospital at Taplow, documented with a "Bullet Wound" to his left chest. He was again transferred, this time to the Canadian Convalescent Hospital at Bromley on September 20th for an additional 16 days recuperation, returning to duty with the 43rd Infantry Battalion on October 6th. In the new year, he was transferred to the 17th Reserve Battalion at Sandling on January 28, 1916, then on command to OTC at London on February 25th and on command to the 2nd Brigade HQSS on June 15th. While with the 17th Reserve Battalion, he became "seriously ill" on September 25, 1916 with a bout of "Pneumonia" and admitted to Moore Barracks Hospital at Shorncliffe. He was struck off strength of the 17th Reserve Battalion on October 4th. However, his condition worsened, as documented in his medical examination on October 10, 1916, noting that "on (the) left side of (his) chest, severe pain present on coughing. Quite marked friction rub heard. Painted with iodine." By the 29th, the "friction" was gone and he was transferred to Hastings Convalescent Hospital on November 8th. After a short stay, he was released but took sick again on November 16th, admitted to the Canadian Division Convalescent Hospital at Epsom with "Influenza". After five weeks convalescence, he was discharged December 18th. Hamilton was re-posted to the 17th Reserve Battalion, Canadian Casualty Assembly Centre at East Sandling on December 26th. The new year saw a transfer to the 14th Reserve Battalion at the Manitoba Regimental Depot at Dibgate on January 31, 1917, where he was granted One Good Conduct Badge on February 9th. After three months with the 14th Reserve Battalion, he was taken on strength of the 16th Infantry Battalion at Dibgate on April 25th, returning to France for a second time. Sickness hit Hamilton once again, as he incurred another bout of Influenza on October 24, 1917. He was admitted to No. 22 Casualty Clearing Station, then invalided to England and sent to the Norfolk War Hospital, Thorpe, Norwich. He was subsequently transferred to the Military Convalescent Hospital at Woodcote Park, Epsom on November 17th, where it was noted that he "had dysentery, blood in stools for a few days when first sick" but was showing "steady improvement under graduated exercises and gradual physical training." He was discharged on January 1, 1918 and taken on strength at the Manitoba Regimental Depot at Shorncliffe. He was then transferred to the 11th Reserve Battalion on January 18th and returned to France with the 16th Infantry Battalion on April 7th. He was wounded in action for the second time, on August 16, 1918, suffering a gun shot wound to the neck and leg, in addition to enduring burns. He was admitted to No. 6 General Hospital at Rouen on August 18th, then transferred to No. 42 General Hospital at Trouville the next day. He was later transferred to No. 5 Convalescent Depot at Trouville on September 1st, to recover from his injuries, before being discharged to the base depot at Etaples on September 21st and designated Class "A" on September 27th. On October 2, 1918, he made his way to the Canadian Corps Reinforcement Camp before joining the 16th Infantry Battalion in the field for another foray into the French theatre on October 6th. Upon the ceasing of hostilities, he proceeded to England on March 26, 1919 and was taken on strength at "D" Wing, Canadian Corps Camp at Bramshott on the 27th. Hamilton proceeded to Canada from the Dispersal Station, aboard the H.M.T.S. Empress of Britain on April 26th and later discharged upon demobilization at Dispersal Station "M", Military District No. 10, in Winnipeg, Manitoba on May 7, 1919, entitled to wear the War Service Badge, Class "A", Number 188765. He died on February 16, 1959 at Saanich, British Columbia, at the age of 79.
Back To Top