Tel: 1(905) 634-3848

Text: 1(905) 906-3848

Purveyors of Authentic Militaria

eMedals-An MBE Group to Telegraphist Lieutenant Guy; Battle of Okinawa

Item: GB4351

An MBE Group to Telegraphist Lieutenant Guy; Battle of Okinawa

On February 3, 2016 Auction Won For


View Bid History

Not available.

An MBE Group to Telegraphist Lieutenant Guy; Battle of Okinawa

An MBE Group to Telegraphist Lieutenant Guy; Battle of Okinawa - Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE, Military); British War Medal (J. 46389 G.H. GUY. TEL. R.N.); Victory Medal (J. 46389 G.H. GUY. TEL. R.N.); 1939-1945 Star; Pacific Star; Defence Medal; and War Medal 1939-1945. Naming is officially impressed on the First World War pair. Court-mounted, original ribbons, extremely fine. Accompanied by a duotang folder with his military biography and four black and white ship photographs. Footnote: George Harry Guy was a telegraphist with the Royal Navy during the First World War, circa 1917. For his war service, he was awarded the British War Medal and the Victory Medal. Post-war, Guy was named an Acting Warrant Telegraphist and later, a Warrant Telegraphist, on April 2, 1932, then posted to the Cruiser H.M.S. Coventry at Mediterranean Station on December 20, 1932. After almost three years' service in the Mediterranean, he returned to the United Kingdom and was transferred to the Destroyer H.M.S. Campbell, the Flotilla Leader of the 4th Flotilla of the Home Fleet, on September 6, 1935, serving for just shy of twenty-nine months. He was subsequently posted to the Destroyer H.M.S. Duncan, the Flotilla Leader of the 8th Flotilla in China, on January 31, 1938 and was with her when the Second World War began. After thirty-three months service with H.M.S. Duncan, he was posted to H.M.S. Victory at the Naval Depot in Portsmouth on October 29, 1940, then transferred to H.M.S. Mercury, the Royal Naval Signal School, near Petersfield, Hampshire, where he became a Commissioned Telegraphist on April 1, 1941 and served as an Instructor. One year after receiving his commission, he was posted to H.M.S. Monk, the Combined Operations Base at Largs, Scotland, on April 1, 1942 and it was here that he was awarded the Member of the British Empire (Military) for his services. Guy's talents as a Telegraphist were in demand, as he was drafted by the Battleship H.M.S. Howe for service in the Pacific theatre. H.M.S. Howe was attached to Task Force 113 (now re-designated TF.57), as part of the Battle of Okinawa. Its first major undertaking was Operation Iceberg, as offshore support for the American landings at Okinawa, beginning on April 1, 1945. The force was subjected to sporadic Japanese kamikaze attacks, but the ship emerged unscathed from these actions. Her aircraft batteries also succeeded in shooting down an attacking kamikaze plane. Its principal roles were air defence and land bombardment, the latter being carried out very accurately against anti-aircraft installations on the island of Miyako, mid-way between Okinawa and Formosa. Guy achieved the rank of Telegraphist Lieutenant on October 1, 1945 and was awarded the 1939-1945 Star, the Pacific Star, the Defence Medal and the War Medal 1939-1945 for his Second World War service. Post-war, he was posted to H.M.S. Mercury II, the Admiralty Surface Weapons Establishment near Portsdown, Chichester, West Sussex, on April 23, 1946. Guy retired from Active Service in 1951.
Back To Top