A WWI Trio to Engineer Lieutenant of the Royal Navy
1914-15 Star (ENG. LT. J.H. MC LEOD, R.N.); British War Medal (ENG. LT. J.H. MC LEOD. R.N.); and Victory Medal (ENG. LT. J.H. MC LEOD. R.N.). Naming is officially impressed. Court-mounted, with swing bar pinback, dark patina on the BWM, light contact, better than very fine. Footnote: 141819 John Henry McLeod was born on January 5, 1863 in New Brompton, Kent, England. He joined the Royal Navy as a Engine Room Artificer 4th Class, at HMS Pembroke, Naval Base Chatham, on August 26, 1887, at the age of 24. He attended the Torpedo School at HMS Vernon in Portsmouth on June 10, 1888, then transferred two months later to HMS Pembroke at the Naval Base at Chatham on November 10th. By May 6, 1890, he was placed with HMS Thrush, a First Class Gunboat and it was here that he was to see an advancement in rank to Engine Room Artificer 3rd Class on August 26th. He returned to HMS Pembroke on August 25, 1891 for a twenty-seven month stint, before being transferred to HMS Gleaner, a Special Service vessel used for target towing, at Portsmouth on December 5, 1893. It was with HMS Gleaner that he was promoted to the rank of Engine Room Artificer on November 3, 1894 and was to remain with the ship for a little over three years. He again returned to HMS Pembroke on January 16, 1897 for one year, before being transferred to HMS Jupiter, a battleship in the Channel Fleet, on January 8, 1898. It was with HMS Jupiter that he was to see two promotions: to Chief Engine Room Artificer 2nd Class on April 1, 1899 and to Artificer Engineer on November 1, 1899. The year before the Great War broke out, he was commissioned as a Engineer Lieutenant on December 29, 1913 and was to maintain this rank throughout the war. For his war service, he was awarded the WWI Trio, as presented here. McLeod died on March 22, 1938. Upon probate of his will, he left his estate to John Moreton McLeod, a civil servant and George Henry McLeod, a wireless engineer (probably his sons). His last address was shown as 19 Riddlesdale Avenue, Tunbridge Wells, Kent.