Tel: 1 (905) 634-3848

Text: 1 (905) 906-3848

Purveyors of Authentic Militaria

  • A WWI Group to the Royal Montreal Regiment DOI
  • A WWI Group to the Royal Montreal Regiment DOI
  • A WWI Group to the Royal Montreal Regiment DOI
  • A WWI Group to the Royal Montreal Regiment DOI
  • A WWI Group to the Royal Montreal Regiment DOI

Item: C1102

A WWI Group to the Royal Montreal Regiment DOI


0% Buyer's Premium

eMedals proudly ships worldwide, see our shipping information

What's a max bid?

Your maximum bid should be the highest amount you're willing to pay for an item.

Your entered maximum bid will not be disclosed to the seller or other auction participants at any point.

Max bidding example:

If the current auction price is $100 dollars and you place a maximum bid of $120 dollars, the system will bid $101 dollars on your behalf.

If no other participant places a bid, you win that auction lot for $101 dollars.

If another auction participant places a bid of $110 dollars, the system will subsequently place a bid of $111 dollars on your behalf. The system will continue to bid in $1.00 dollar increments until your maximum bid of $120 dollars is exceeded.

If another auction participant places a bid for $125 dollars, the auction lot price will display $121 dollars having exceeded your previously submitted maximum bid by $1.00 dollar.

Buyer's Premium

All bids are subject to a Buyer's Premium which is in addition to the placed successful bid. The following rate of Buyer's Premium will be added to the Hammer Price of each Lot that you purchase:

Twenty-Two Percent (22%) of the Hammer Price

A WWI Group to the Royal Montreal Regiment DOI

A WWI Group to the Royal Montreal Regiment CEF - 1914-15 Star (26162 AR:Cpl C.J. ARNOLD. 14/CAN:INF:); British War Medal (26162 S-SJT. C.J. ARNOLD. 14-CAN.INF.); and Victory Medal (26162 S.SJT. C.J. ARNOLD. 14-CAN.INF.). Naming is officially impressed. Unmounted, cleaned, contact marks, better than very fine. Accompanied by a CD containing twenty-four pages with copies of his Index Cards, Attestation Papers, Service Records and Medical Records. Footnote: Christopher John Arnold was born on December 29, 1888 in Wolverton, Buckinghamshire, England. He was with the 3rd Regiment, Victoria Rifles when he was mobilized for WWI active service. He signed his Attestation Paper on September 21, 1914 at Camp Valcartier, Quebec with the 14th Infantry Battalion "Royal Montreal Battalion", naming his next-of-kin as his mother, Mrs. Louisa Arnold of Wolverton, stating that he had four years' service with an Active Militia as a member of the Victoria Rifles, that he was not married and that his trade was that of Pattern Maker. The Battalion was raised under the authority of P.C.O., August 6, 1914 and sailed on October 3, 1914 aboard the S.S. Andania, with a strength of 46 officers and 1, 097 other ranks under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel F.J. Meighen. The beginning of the new year saw an appointment for Arnold to the rank of Arm. Staff Corporal on January 1, 1915. He left for the French theatre on August 1, 1915, joining the 14th Battalion in the field on the 4th. The following month, he was appointed Arm. Corporal on September 25, 1915. Arnold returned to the Canadian Base Depot on October 23rd, remaining there until November 20th, then rejoined the 14th Battalion. After serving with the 14th Battalion for five months, he was stuck off strength on transfer to the Canadian Ordnance Corps on April 30, 1916 and promoted to Arm. Sergeant the next day. Arnold was to experience a series of hospitalizations while overseas. He reported "sick" two days after his transfer, to No. 14 Stationary Hospital at Wimereux with a suspected Entensic Fever on May 2nd. After three weeks, he was invalided and transferred "sick" to England, his condition stated as "Paratyphoid Slight" (Paratyphoid fevers are a group of enteric illnesses caused by serotypic strains of the Salmonella genus of bacteria. They are transmitted by means of contaminated water or food. The paratyphoid bears similarities with typhoid fever, and the two are referred to by the common name Enteric Fever. The course of paratyphoid is more benign). He soon found himself at the University War Hospital at Southampton on the 27th and diagnosed Paratyphoid "A". After ten days and no improvement in his condition, he was transferred to Ardington Park at West Croydon on June 6th and diagnosed Paratyphoid "B". He was treated at Ardington Park for a little over three weeks, when he was transferred again, this time to Wear Bay Typhoid Convalescent Hospital on June 30, where he was to spend the next two months, to August 29, 1916, then transferred to the Military Hospital at Shorncliffe on the 30th and subsequently discharged, after four months hospitalization. He required an additional three weeks at the Canadian Casualty Depot Monks Horton before he was struck off strength to the Canadian Ordnance Corps at Ashford on September 20, 1916. He was later posted to the 13th Infantry Battalion for a short time. The new year didn't see him fare better health wise, as Arnold contracted German Measles at the age of 29 years and was admitted to "Isolation" at  Moore Barracks Hospital at Shorncliffe on January 18, 1917. A little over two weeks later, on February 6th, he was transferred to the Westcliffe Eye and Ear Hospital at Folkestone, diagnosed with Otitis Media (middle ear infection) and discharged two weeks later on the 22nd. He soon saw a transfer from the Canadian Casualty Assembly Centre to the Canadian Ordnance Corps. He is documented as being "on command" at the Ordnance College in Woolwich on October 1, 1917, remaining there until February 8, 1918. He was stuck off strength and proceeded overseas on February 28, 1918, taken on strength by the Canadian Ordnance Corps at Ashford on March 1st. One week later, he was transferred to the 1st Canadian Infantry Battalion in Western Europe on March 8th. He soon saw another appointment, this time to Acting Arm. Staff Sergeant with pay on April 1st. He was admitted to No. 3 Canadian Field Ambulance on June 5, 1918 and diagnosed "P.U.O." (Pyrexia of Unknown Origin = fever) and discharged the same day. Arnold was confirmed in the rank of Arm. Staff Sergeant in the field on July 1, 1918 while with the Canadian Ordnance Corps. Three months later, he was transferred to the 19th Infantry Battalion at Witley on October 10th and returned to the Canadian Ordnance Corps on October 26th. He was taken on strength at the Canadian Base Depot for disposal on October 29th before being transferred to England and posted to the General Depot at Witley on November 1st, whereupon he was taken on strength at the General Depot from the Canadian Ordnance Corps on November 4th. Illness continued to plague Arnold, as he was admitted to No. 11 Canadian General Hospital at Shorncliffe on November 6th with Chronic Bronchitis. In his medical records, it was noted that he was "seriously ill" and re-diagnosed with "Subacute, Malignant Endocarditis" (endocarditis = bacterial or fungal infection of the endocardium = inner lining of the heart, that can be either acute or subacute). He had acquired a "cough" that lasted "most, all of the time", combined with a shortness of breath, loss of weight and night sweats. His condition worsened over the next two weeks, to the point where he passed away on November 19, 1918. His mother, Mrs. Louisa Arnold of Wolverton, received his Trio.
Back To Top