A Second War Group to the Royal Canadian Navy
A Second War Group to the Royal Canadian Navy - Landing Craft Infantry - 1939-1945 Star, France and Germany Star, Canadian Volunteer Service Medal with Overseas Clasp, War Medal 1939-1945 and Canadian Forces Decoration, QEII (LT (E) E.F. HAGARTY). Naming is officially engraved on the CFD. Court mounted with dual push pin reverse, ready for wearing, extremely fine. Accompanied by copies of his Non-Permanent Active Militia of Canada Enrolment Form, his Service Records and British Columbia Certificate of Death. Footnote: Edwin Foran Hagarty signed his Non-Permanent Active Militia of Canada Enrolment Form on November 22, 1940 during World War Two, serving for more than twenty-five years with the Navy on both the east and west coasts of Canada. He entered the Royal Canadian Naval Reserve as Chief Motor Mechanic 4th Class on October 12, 1941, later achieving the ranks of Chief Motor Mechanic 3rd Class (October 13, 1941) and Acting Warrant Engineer (May 1, 1943), also with HMCS Avalon. He served at HMCS Stadacona for training in Mechanical Training Establishment. The end of December 1943 saw a shift to HMCS Niobe, where he was active in Canadian manitenance parties in Combined Operations, then, in February 1944, for Duty with the Flotilla Engineer Officer 3rd Canadian Landing Craft Infantry (L), and concluded his service with Niobe as a Fleet Engineer Officer 264th Landing Craft Infantry (L) Flotilla, from July 12, 1944 until mid-November. He finished his war service with HMCS Shelburne as Assistant to the Engineer Officer for Divisional Duties, concluding with a short stint with HMCS Laymore in charge of Machinery. After the war, he was transferred to the Royal Canadian Navy (Reserve) as Acting Warrant Engineer on January 1, 1946, later demobilzed on April 23, 1946. Three months later, on July 18, 1946, Hagarty entered the Royal Canadian Navy (Reserve) as a Warrant Engineer at Stadacona, assigned again to Laymore, until September 6, where he was shifted to HMCS Discovery. On January 9, 1948, he began service with HMCS Malahat, later achieving the rank of Commissioned Engineer on September 1, 1949. He was then transferred to the Royal Canadian Navy as a Commissioned Engineer on March 15, 1951, at Stadacona, on staff of the Manager of the Engineer Department. By early December, he had become the Engineer Officer with HMCS Brockville, later achieving the rank of Lieutenant (E) (Star) on April 1, 1952. He returned to Stadacona on staff of the superintendent of the Halifax, NS Dockyard on January 16, 1953. By May, Hagarty was commissioning as Engineer Officer and Group Engineer Officer for HMCS Granby and HMCS Digby. He also held the position of Engineer Officer with Granby, December 1953. The following February, he was at HMCS Cornwallis for an Officers' Divisional Course and by April 1954, was a Flag Officer Atlantic Coast for the Command Technical Officer at Stadacona. He was on the staff of the Engineer-in-Chief, Naval Headquarters, beginning on June 10, 1954. Additional postings included HMCS Ontario (August 1956), Oshawa (February 1958, as Engineer Officer), Naden (November 1958, on the staff of the Commodore Superintendent Pacific Coast for Oshawa) and Fortune (December 1958, as Squadron Engineer Officer on the staff of the Commander of the Second Canadian Minesweeping Squadron). It was at Fortune when he was promoted to Lieutenant (Star) on January 1, 1960 and Lieutenant on January 1. 1961. In the 1960s, he returned to Naden (April 1962, on the staff of the Superintendent of Dockyard Equimalt, as Staff Officer to the Deputy Superintendent, and later, May 1963, on the staff of the Commodore Superintendent, Pacific Coast for the Production Department, Ship Repair Activity). He is documented as having been at CFB Esqimalt, BC, October 22, 1966 for Rehabilitation Leave. Hagarty was released from service on March 12, 1967. He died on August 17, 1992 in Victoria, British Columbia at the age of 75.