A Second War Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
A Second War Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife - Fine polished steel blade, measuring 175 mm, obverse ricasso maker marked "WILKINSON SWORD CO. LTD. LONDON", reverse ricasso is marked "THE F-S FIGHTING KNIFE.", very sharp tip and sharpened edges, minor scratches and edge nicks from regular usage. Solid metal crossguard, with crosshatched grip on the bronze handle, domed "skull-cracker" pommel, measuring 303 mm in length overall, scattered green oxidation evident on the handle, better than very fine condition. Accompanied by its supple leather scabbard, with a blackened bronze chape, two horizontal straps on the back, with two slits for belt attachment, 48 mm x 322 mm, overall evident, scabbard also better than very fine. Footnote: The Fairbairn-Sykes Fighting Knife is a double-edged fighting knife resembling a dagger or poignard with a foil grip developed by William Ewart Fairbairn and Eric Anthony Sykes in Shanghai based on concepts which the two men initiated before World War II while serving on the Shanghai Municipal Police in China. The F-S fighting knife was made famous during WWII when issued to British Commandos, including the SAS. With its acutely tapered, sharply-pointed blade, the F-S Fighting knife is frequently described as a stilletto, a weapon optimized for thrusting, although the F-S knife is capable of being used to inflict slash cuts upon an opponent when its cutting edges are sharpened according to specification. The Wilkinson Sword Company made the knife with minor pommel and grip design variations. The first batch of fifty F-S Fighting Knives were produced in January 1941 by Wilkinson Sword Ltd after Fairbairnand Sykes had travelled down to their factory from the Special Training Centre at Lochailort, Scotland in November 1940 to discuss their ideas for a fighting knife.