A Pre First War 104th Officer's Visor
A Pre First War 104th Officer's Visor - This fine quality cap has a 43 mm wide black embroidered band, incorporating a repeating design of maple leaves, each linked with long stems, trimmed on both outer edges with an ornate pattern, with the body of the cap fabricated from a black wool, in the traditional flat top design. There are two black metal eyelets on each side of the cap on the underside of the overhang for ventilation. The front is adorned with a 31.5 mm silver gilt Canadian Infantry 104th Regiment Cap Badge, the gilt covering all but the "104", exposing the silver base, as per the original design of the badge. The black patent leather visor has a black patent leather strap resting along the top edge, held in position via brass Canada Militia insignia buttons on both sides, along with a raised 20 mm wide border on the brim covered in gold-coloured bullion wire, trimmed in gold-coloured bullion wire cord on either side. The underside of the visor has a green lacquered finish, the visor itself very stiff. The 60 mm wide leather sweatband is embossed stamped in gold ink with the "Strickland & Sons, 15, Savile Row London, W." maker's insignia on the left side, with the two ends stitched together and complimented with a thin drawstring fed through a series of small slits around the outer edge of the sweatband, the ends of the drawstring remaining untied. The front of the sweatband over the visor has an additional reinforcing patch of deerskin leather stitched to the leather sweatband, aiding in restricting sweat from the wearer's forehead. The underside of this same area of the sweatband has a thick cotton comfort pad. The sidewalls and dome are finished in cork, which exhibits some crazing in both areas, along with loss in the dome but the fragmenting has been stemmed due to the placement of an after-market clear plastic insert. The visor and strap exhibit light crazing and some contact marks. However, overall, it continues to exhibit smooth quality in the wool, plus quality workmanship, intact stitching on the exterior, maintaining its original period look, in near mint condition. Footnote: The 104th Regiment originated in New Westminster, British Columbia on April 1, 1910. It was re-designated as the 104th Regiment Westminster Fusiliers of Canada on December 15, 1913 and was placed on active service on August 6, 1914 for local protection duties at the start of the First World War. Subsequently, the Regiment raised the 47th Battalion (British Columbia), CEF, which was authorized on November 7, 1914 and embarked for the United Kingdom on November 13, 1915. It disembarked in France on August 11, 1916, where it fought as part of the 10th Infantry Brigade, 4th Canadian Division in France and Flanders until the end of the war. The Battalion disbanded on August 30, 1920. The 131st Battalion (Westminster), CEF, was authorized on December 22, 1915 and embarked for the United Kingdom on October 31, 1916, where its personnel were absorbed by the 30th Infantry Battalion, CEF, on November 14, 1916, to provide reinforcements for the Canadian Corps in the field. The Battalion disbanded on July 17, 1917. After the war, the 104th Regiment Westminster Fusiliers of Canada amalgamated with the 6th Regiment "The Duke of Connaught's Own Rifles", to form the 1st British Columbia Regiment on March 12, 1920 and was re-designated the 1st British Columbia Regiment (Duke of Connaught's Own) on November 1, 1920. It was amalgamated with C Company, 11th Machine Gun Battalion, CMGC and re-designated The Westminster Regiment (Machine Gun) on December 15, 1936. Serving during the Second World War, it was re-designated The Westminster Regiment (Motor) on April 1, 1941, then re-designated on November 7, 1941 as the 2nd (Reserve) Battalion, The Westminster Regiment (Motor), seeing service in Italy and Northwest Europe. After the war, it was re-designated as The Westminster Regiment (Motor) on January 31, 1946, then as The Westminster Regiment on October 6, 1954 and finally, as The Royal Westminster Regiment on December 9, 1966.