Tel: 1(905) 634-3848

Text: 1(905) 906-3848

Purveyors of Authentic Militaria

eMedals-A North West Canada to Lieutenant Stewart who was Wounded Twice at Saskatchewan

Item: C4362

A North West Canada to Lieutenant Stewart who was Wounded Twice at Saskatchewan



Optional Payments Available

Layaway PolicyItem is available for our layaway plan.

Installments to be paid every month.
Your CC will be charged automatic.
We don't save your CC details. You are secure.

* Final amount varies depending on shipping, tax & other charges.

Layaway Policy

eMedals is pleased to offer flexible layaway services to all clients. Our layaway program offers the opportunity for clients to make payments on eligible items over period of time.

Minimum deposit of 30%, of the total price of your order including all applicable taxes and shipping charges, is due when the merchandise is put on layaway. The total price of your order must be paid within 6 months from the date of original purchase.

You may make additional payments at any time by accessing the Layaway section in your account.

Your contract will be automatically cancelled and ordered merchandise will be returned to stock if you have not completed payments in full by the 3 month deadline.

You may pay by cash, check, wire transfer, Paypal, or credit card.

Available for immediate shipping.

A North West Canada to Lieutenant Stewart who was Wounded Twice at Saskatchewan

Canada. North West Canada Medal 1885, to Lieutenant George Wilson Stewart, 90th Winnipeg Battalion (Winnipeg Rifles)

1 Clasp - SASKATCHEWAN (LIEUt G.W. STEWART 90th BATTn.). Naming is neatly engraved in large capitals. Replacement ribbon, scattered nicks on the raised rim on the obverse, light contact overall, better than very fine. Accompanied by assorted research papers.

Footnote: George Wilson Stewart was born on November 26, 1856 in Glasgow, Scotland, the son of George McKenzie Stewart, his mother's maiden name being Wilson. His father had been engaged in the mercantile trade for over twenty years. The family immigrated to Canada with his parents, settling in Guelph, Ontario, where he received his early schooling. He later attended Hellmuth Boys' College, a first class boarding school in London, Ontario, where special attention was given to higher mathematics and Latin. Upon graduation, he served four years' apprenticeship in an architect's office in Toronto, Ontario, then opened an office of his own in the city. He did spent one year in Europe, travelling around the continent, in order to gain all the information possible about the field of architecture. Stewart was lured by the building boom in Manitoba in 1880 and subsequently moved to Winnipeg, becoming a draftsman for Balston C. Kenway. He later entered into partnership with Mancel Willmot (Wilmot & Stewart) in October of that year. During the next three years, their firm was remarkably successful, designing commercial, institutional and residential terrace blocks in Winnipeg. Stewart was also a talented designer in his own right and is credited with an exceptional work located in the border town of Emerson, Manitoba, creating a mansion for the wealthy owner, William N. Fairbanks, in a striking Italianate design. The sudden downturn in the economy of Winnipeg in 1884 forced the dissolution of the partnership with Willmot. Stewart was then appointed as resident architect of Manitoba, representing the Dominion Government's Department of Public Works in Ottawa. His works included military and mounted police buildings, as well as the Fort Osborne Barracks building in Winnipeg. At the same time, Stewart also served with the Canadian Militia, in the rank of Lieutenant with the 90th Winnipeg Battalion (Winnipeg Rifles). He took part in the Riel Rebellion of 1885 and suffered gunshot wounds in altercations with the Sioux and Blackfoot tribes, one of the wounds incurring in his neck. Many of his comrades were killed and wounded during the conflict. The natives called the 90th Winnipeg Battalion the "Little Black Devils", as they wore drab green uniforms that looked black under certain illumination. For his service during the Riel Rebellion, Lieutenant George Wilson Stewart, 90th Winnipeg Battalion was awarded the North West Canada Medal with Saskatchewan clasp. He is listed on the medal roll, entitled to the Saskatchewan clasp. He is also acknowledged on the North West Active Service List of Members of the Militia Force 1885 (with claims to "Grants of Land" under the provisions of the Act of 1848-49 Victoria, Chapter 73, granting Bounty Land to Officers and Soldiers). He was later made a Captain and retired with that rank. After the Riel Rebellion, Stewart returned to his architecture practice, with his last work in Canada appearing to have been the spectacular castle-like Riding School & Drill Hall at Regina, Saskatchewan for the Northwest Mounted Police (1886). This was the largest indoor arena in Western Canada in the Nineteenth Century, measuring 225 feet long and 125 feet wide of clear-span space, unobstructed by columns. This structural feat was achieved by the use of large curved wood arch beams rising nearly 30 feet at the crown of the roof. Unfortunately, the entire building burned to the ground on November 26, 1887, ironically on Stewart's thirty-first birthday. The same plans by Stewart were used in 1888-1889, to build a complete replica which stood in place until it too was destroyed by fire, this time in 1920, the year he was to retire from the architectural world. Stewartmoved to Dallas, Texas in 1887 and continued to practise there, at first in partnership with B.C. Fuller and after the death of Fuller, on his own account. He joined the Texas State Association of Architects and served as President of that organization in 1890. He took an active interest in all manner of athletic and field sports, and "other manly exercises". It was noted, that while in Dallas, he took little active interest in political issues and devoted his time and attention to the study of architecture. By 1892, he had moved again, this time to the State of Georgia where he was reported to be "a successful architect in Atlanta". He maintained an office in Atlanta for at least fifteen years, at first in partnership with James W. Golucke, as Golucke & Stewart, Architects (1896-1899), and then under his own name. Stewart moved to St. Petersburg, Florida in 1911, as "there was an opportunity for an architect, and because of the climate". He designed many of St. Petersburg's homes and larger buildings, including the eclectic scheme for the St. Petersburg Yacht Club (1916-1617) and the federal Post Office Building (1917, executed in a bold Renaissance Revival style and presently listed on the National Register of Historic Places). He retired as an architect in 1920. He was known locally as a member of the Episcopal church, the Kiwanis club, the Yacht club, the Echo club, the Art club and the Masonic Lodge. Stewart died on March 12, 1937 at Mound Park Hospital in St. Petersburg, at the age of 80. He had been ill for the two weeks before his passing and was buried from The Palms Funeral Home, one of the buildings he had designed. His wife, Marie Congdon Stewart had predeceased him in February 1935 and he was buried beside his wife in Marietta, Georgia.

Back To Top