Tel: 1(905) 634-3848

Text: 1(905) 906-3848

Purveyors of Authentic Militaria

eMedals-A Military Cross Group to Capt.Clark; 1st Machine Gun Brigade CEF

Item: C2432

A Military Cross Group to Capt.Clark; 1st Machine Gun Brigade CEF

Sold For


View Bid History

Not available.

A Military Cross Group to Capt.Clark; 1st Machine Gun Brigade CEF

A Military Cross Group to Capt.Clark; 1st Machine Gun Brigade CEF - Military Cross, George V (un-named as issued); British War Medal (CAPT. R.C. CLARK.); and Victory Medal (CAPT. R.C. CLARK.). Naming is officially impressed on the First World War pair. Court-mounted, with swing bar pinback, as worn by the veteran, MID oak leaf on the VM, bruising on the BWM, light contact, better than very fine. Accompanied by copies of his Index Cards, Attestation Paper, Service Records, Discharge Certificate and Certificate of Service.    Footnote: Roy Cameron Clark was born on January 7, 1887 in Renfrew, Ontario. He signed his Attestation Paper as a Private (45540) with the 1st Machine Gun Brigade, on September 3, 1914 in Gloucester Township, Carleton County, Ontario, at the age of 27, naming his next-of-kin as Annie Clark of Renfrew, stating that he has no previous military service, that he was not married and that his trade was that of Surveyor. Nine months after enlisting, he proceeded to France on June 18, 1915, where he was soon promoted to Corporal on July 24th, followed by a promotion to Sergeant on February 6, 1916. He was attached to No. 1 Canadian Division Anti Gas School on May 27, 1916. Clark was named Temporary Lieutenant on July 18, 1916 and posted to duty with the 1st Canadian Machine Gun Brigade. The later part of 1916 through to mid-1917 saw him hospitalized at various facilities, the extent of his illnesses un-documented. He was admitted to No. 39 General Hospital at Le Havre on September 15, 1916, then admitted to No. 20 General Hospital at Camiers on January 6, 1917, followed by a transfer to No. 39 General Hospital at Le Havre and discharged to overseas reinforcements at Le Havre on February 26th. He joined the 1st Motorized Machine Gun Brigade in March 1917, but returned to England three months later, and admitted to Queen Alexandra's Military Hospital at Millbank on July 3, 1917, where he was hospitalized for four weeks, before being discharged on the 31st. Upon discharge from hospital, he was taken on strength at the Canadian Machine Gun Reinforcement Depot for one month, named Temporary Captain on September 6, 1917 and then promoted to Captain with the Canadian Machine Gun Corps on October 8th. Clark proceeded overseas to France on October 24, 1917, arriving at the reinforcement pool at Camiers on the 25th and attached to the 1st Canadian Machine Gun Brigade on the 27th. While with the 1st Canadian Machine Gun Brigade, he was wounded, suffering a gun shot wound to his right hip on August 9, 1918. He was evacuated from the field and admitted to No. 8 General Hospital at Rouen on the 11th, where his condition remained "Seriously Ill" as of the 24th. It was decided that he was to be invalided to England on September 2nd, where he was admitted to Prince of Wales' Hospital at Seaford on the 3rd. He continued his hospitalization at a convalescent facility, before being discharged in early December. Clark was awarded the Military Cross as mentioned in the London Gazette 30997, page 13173 on November 7, 1918, "For conspicuous gallantry in action. He handled his detachment of armoured cars with the greatest boldness, and destroyed many enemy machine-gun groups, until he was severely wounded. It was chiefly owing to his determined conduct that the cavalry were so well supported and enabled to accomplish their extensive operations." He was also Mentioned in Despatches and awarded the MID oak leaf. Early in the new year, he was admitted to the 1st Canadian Convalescent Station with an infected left hand (septic) on January 18, 1919, treated and released. He was struck off strength of the Overseas Military Forces of Canada and embarked the United Kingdom on April 12, 1919, arriving in Halifax, Nova Scotia on the 20th. Clark was discharged upon demobilization on April 25, 1919 at Ottawa, Ontario, credited with having served in England and France with the 1st Canadian Machine Gun Brigade, at the Canadian Machine Gun Depot, with the 1st Motorized Machine Gun Brigade and with the Canadian Reinforcement Pool, entitled to wear the War Service Badge, Class "A". He was awarded the British War Medal and Victory Medal for his overseas service, the latter with an MID oak leaf attached. Clark died on December 24, 1936, at the age of 49, two weeks shy of his fiftieth birthday.
Back To Top