Tel: 1(905) 634-3848

Text: 1(905) 906-3848

Purveyors of Authentic Militaria

eMedals-A Korean War Period Canadian Memorial Cross

Item: C3322

A Korean War Period Canadian Memorial Cross



Layaway Policy

eMedals is pleased to offer flexible layaway services to all clients. Our layaway program offers the opportunity for clients to make payments on eligible items over period of time.

Minimum deposit of 30%, of the total price of your order including all applicable taxes and shipping charges, is due when the merchandise is put on layaway. The total price of your order must be paid within 6 months from the date of original purchase.

You may make additional payments at any time by accessing the Layaway section in your account.

Your contract will be automatically cancelled and ordered merchandise will be returned to stock if you have not completed payments in full by the 3 month deadline.

You may pay by cash, check, wire transfer, Paypal, or credit card.

Available for immediate shipping.

A Korean War Period Canadian Memorial Cross

A Korean War Period Canadian Memorial Cross - (SD-6255 PTE. A.A.J. PARE). Very crisp detail, dark patina, light contact, extremely fine. Accompanied by copies of his Attestation Paper, Service Records, Personal Selection Records, Medical Records, Discharge Certificates and Awards Documentation. Footnote: Andre Albert Joseph Pare was born on August 25, 1924 in the Province of Quebec. He signed his Attestation Paper on February 22, 1943 at Quebec City, Quebec, stating that he had no previous military service, that he was not married, that his next-of-kin was his father, David Pare of Quebec City and that his trade was that of "Journalier" (Labourer). He completed 5th Grade but left school at the age of 12 to help on his father's farm, his work experience amounting to three years as a Farm Helper and an additional three years as a Labourer, with no working knowledge of English. Pare was tested by the Army on February 22, 1943 and determined to have a "good physique, low average natural intelligence, average emotional stability, poor sense of observation and proportion, good disposition" and was recommended that he "should be seen by a psychiatrist, before allocation is made". No psychiatic objections were made and he was recommended for the Infantry. He remained at Camp Valcartier until his discharge on October 4, 1943, when he was declared physically unfit for military service due to high blood pressure. He does make a second attempt to get into the Army after World War II, serving with the Royal Canadian Artillery, 37th Field Battery as a Gunner for three months in 1947. He married in 1949 and had four children, while living in Montreal. He had intended to make a career of the Army, and was hoping for further training as an Electrical Welder, having had some civilian experience in this field. Pare persisted and as a result, enlisted with the Canadian Army Active Force, Royal Canadian Infantry Corps, Royal 22nd Regiment as a Private (E-101018) in Montreal, Quebec on August 7, 1951. He was considered a potential electrical welder for Royal Canadian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (RCEME) but his training results were not considered satisfactory, so he was allocated to the Royal Canadian Infantry Corps (RCIC). Pare completed training with the 1st Royal 22nd Regiment at Valcartier between January 23 and March 17, 1952, qualifying as a Leading Infantryman, Group 1, February 15, 1952. A week before, on the the 7th, he was admitted to Valcartier Station Hospital sick, being discharged on the 12th. He proceeded to the Far East on March 18, 1952, for service during the Korean War, serving in Korea with the 1st Royal 22nd Regiment, employed as a Rifleman and Batman, from April 9 to September 14, 1952, and also became qualified as a Driver on July 19, 1952. Pare developed a sore throat, became nauseated, with pain in back on both sides in the kidney region on August 1, 1952, later being admitted to 37 Canadian Field Ambulance RCAMC on August 21, 1952. As he described it to a medical official after the war, he "coughed a lot in Korea". On October 21st, he was transferred to Seoul with the tentaive diagnosis of haemorrhagic fever, later transferred to the American Hospital Base where he remained for one month. While there, he was told he had kidney trouble and was transported to Japan, where he was hospitalized at the British Commonwealth General Hospital for chronic nephritis (inflammation of the nephrons in the kidneys, often caused by infections, toxins, and auto-immune diseases. It can be caused by infection, but is most commonly caused by autoimmune disorders that affect the major organs) from September 14 to October 31, 1952. He then left Japan, arriving in Canada on November 4th, repatriated on the 7th and again hospitalized from November 17 to December 10, 1952 for a complete renal investigation at the age of 27. His back pain lasted about three months, his right side more painful, with no joint pains but his feet were swollen for the first month during the illness. He had a history of illness, diagnosed with rheumatism at the age of eight in 1934, pneumonia three times, at 16, 18 and 20, with both parents having heart trouble, his father having died from it. In a report from Captain W.J. Murphy, 4 Personnel Depot, Montreal, dated February 16, 1953, he stated that "Pare apparently has rendered quite satisfactory service. His present attltude towards the Army is excellent and, except for (his) physical condition, would like to continue service. In view of (his) conduct record and subsequent service, the remarks re: his training at CATS in 1951 seem difficult to understand. In view of his medical category however, future re-engagement cannot be recommended,", He was also documented with "good discipline and maturity as a soldier", compensating for his lack of education and was "very good in the field" and "he is eager to work and is never heard to complain." He was short of breath quite easily and had occassional chest pain to the left of the midsternal area. As a result, Pare was honorably discharged on February 23, 1953, having served his country in Canada and the Far East. He died on December 8, 1960 at the age of 36 and was credited with 1939-1945 Star, the Korea Medal and the United Nations Korea Medal. Two Memorial Crosses were issued in 1961, one to his wife, Mrs. Germaine Pare of Soulanges County, Quebec and the other to his mother, Mrs. Elizabeth Pare of Ville LaSalle, Quebec, as he was diagnosed with his illness while with the Army.
Back To Top