A Hungarian Manfred Weiss Steel and Metal Works Award Medal
A Hungarian Manfred Weiss Steel and Metal Works Award Medal - Bronze, obverse illustrating a many with an olive leaf in his raised right hand, resting his left hand on a large gear, with the Manfred Weiss factory in the background, surrounded by the inscription "WEISS MANFRED VÁLLALATOK TESTEDZŐ KŐRE", reverse inscribed "EMLÉKŰL W.M.T.K. - tól 1940" inside an open-ended wreath composed of laurel leaves on the left and oak leaves on the right, 40.2 mm, residue in the recessed areas, light contact and surface wear, very fine. Footnote: The Weiss Manfréd Acél- és Fémművek ("Manfréd Weiss Steel and Metal Works"), or colloquially Csepel Művek ("Csepel Works") was one of the largest machine factories in Hungary, located on the Csepel island outside Budapest. It played an integral role in the heavy industry and military production of the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy. Founded by Baron Manfréd Weiss of Csepel, a Jewish industrialist, by the time of the First World War, the company was one of largest defense contractors in Austria-Hungary, producing all types of equipment, from airplanes and munitions to automotive engines and cars. Badly damaged by Allied air raids and eventually pillaged during the Second World War, the company continued in existence until 1950, when it was nationalized and renamed to Rákosi Mátyás Vas- és Fémművek NV ("Mátyás Rákosi Iron and Metal Works National Company NV", "NV" meaning Nemzeti Vállalat, "National Company").