A First War Trio to the 24th Canadian Infantry
A First War Trio to the 24th Canadian Infantry - 1914-15 Star (65466 Pte G.R. HOVELL. 24/CAN:INF:); British War Medal (65466 A. CPL. G.R. HOVELL. 24-CAN.INF.); and Victory Medal (65466 A. CPL. G.R. HOVELL. 24-CAN.INF.). Naming is officially impressed, better than very fine. Accompanied by a CD containing seventeen pages with copies of his Index Cards, Attestation Paper, Service Records and Medical Records. Footnote: George Ross Hovell was born on January 16, 1893 in Aubroath, Scotland. He signed his Attestation Paper with the 24th Infantry Battalion "Victoria Rifles" in Montreal, Quebec, on November 2, 1914, naming his next-of-kin as his mother, Mrs. A. Hovell of Vancouver, British Columbia (later having it changed to Mrs. Henrietta Hovell of London, England), stating that he had no previous military service, that he was not married (later changed to "yes") and that his trade was that of Lithographer. The Battalion was raised and mobilized in Montreal under the authority of G.O. 36, March 15, 1915, Hovell arriving in England aboard the S.S. Cameronian on May 20th. After four months, he embarked for the French theatre with the 24th Infantry Battalion, on September 15, 1915, arriving in Boulogne, France on the 16th. A little over five weeks later, while with the 24th Battalion, he sustained an injury to his left foot while in the trenches at Kemmel, Belgium, on October 22, 1915, in what was described the next day at No. 6 Canadian Field Ambulance on the 23rd, as a "Fallen Ankle". He was transferred to the Australian Hospital at Wimereux on the 26th and diagnosed with "Flat Foot", after which he was transferred to No. 15 Casualty Clearing Station on the 26th, placed on No. 17 Ambulance Train and sent to Boulogne, then invalided to England aboard the H.S. Cambria on the 27th. He was taken on strength by the 39th Battalion at West Sandling, transferred to Great North Central Hospital at Holloway, beginning a series of hospital visits that included Chelsea Hospital, 1st London General Hospital R.A.M.C., the Canadian Convalescent Hospital at Bromley and, by February 15, 1916, the Canadian Convalescent Assembly Centre at Bath. He returned to Bromley where he was discharged on March 30th and established on command there, "Waiting for special (a) boot." for his "Flat Foot" and placed "On light duty." Once the boot arrived, he was transferred to the Duke of Edinburgh's R.C. Hospital at Hyde Park, then later, to the Imperial Order Daughters of the Empire Hospital in London, where, on November 18, 1916, he was also credited with having completed his two years' service with Good Conduct, entitling him to wear one Good Conduct Badge. He continued his rehabilitation, as he was admitted to the Petrograd Red Cross Hospital in London on November 25, 1918. It was during his time at Petrograd that he was granted permission to marry on April 23, 1919, marrying on June 4th at St. Mark's Church, Dalston, London N.E. and named Acting Corporal, with his new unit, the Canadian Army Medical Corps on May 1st. In his Medical History of an Invalid, dated June 26, 1919 at No. 3 Southampton Street, London, it made note of the "rupture of ligaments of (the) left foot", that occurred on October 22, 1916 at Kemmel, Belgium, due to the twisting of the foot. It went on to state that the "Left foot is very flat and is inverted. It is weak, not being able to support his weight on the toes of that foot. The foot is rigid and arch cannot be produced by pressure.", that the "Patient states that he can walk only one mile or one and one half miles without pain. That while in the trenches in October 1915, he wrenched his foot. He was then unable to bear any weight on his left foot and reported sick. Has been under hospital treatment about five months but foot is still flat and is painful in walking. It has not improved lately." It was determined that his disability was to be "Permanent". Hovell was placed on command to the 2nd Canadian District Depot and was struck off strength and discharged in England by K.B. & O. at the Canadian Red Cross Officers' Hospital on October 1, 1919.