Tel: 1(905) 634-3848

Text: 1(905) 906-3848

Purveyors of Authentic Militaria

eMedals-A First War Trio to Lord Strathcona's Horse

Item: C2901

A First War Trio to Lord Strathcona's Horse

Sold For


View Bid History

Not available.

A First War Trio to Lord Strathcona's Horse

A First War Trio to the Lord Strathcona's Horse Regiment -  1914-15 Star (15095 TPR: J. Mc R. ARLOW. LD:S'CONA'S H.); British War Medal (erased); and Victory Medal (15095 A.L. CPL. J.M. ARLOW. L.S.H. - R.C. -). Naming is officially impressed. Very crisp detail, polished, residue in the recessed areas on the Star from polishing, original ribbons, light contact, better than very fine. Accompanied by his CEF For Service At The Front Badge (bronze and enamels, numbered "242898" on the reverse, 22.3 mm, screwback) and a CDcontaining seventeen pages with copies of his IndexCards, Attestation Paper, Service Records, Medical Records and Discharge Certificate.  Footnote: John McR Arlow was born on October 14, 1891 in Belfast, Ireland. He signed his Attestation Paper on September 24, 1914 at Valcartier, Quebec, naming is father, W.J. Arlow of Belfast as his next-of-kin, stating that he had no previous military service, that he was not married and that his trade was that of Printer. However, it is known that he was with the 6th Infantry Battalion "Fort Garry Horse", which was raised in Winnipeg, Manitoba and mobilized at Camp Valcartier under the authority of P.C.O., August 6, 1914. The Battalion sailed October 3, 1914 aboard the S.S. Lapland, under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel R.W. Patterson with a strength of 40 officers and 1,115 other ranks. Upon arrival in England, the Battalion was reorganized as the Canadian Cavalry Depot. After eight months in England, Arlow embarked Southampton, England for the French theatre on June 8, 1915 and was taken on strength on the 9th, joining his unit in the field on the 14th. Early the following year, he was transferred to the Machine Gun Squadron on February 20, 1916. He served with both the Lord Strathcona's Horse and the Canadian Machine Gun Corps while in France and Belgium. In addition, he was granted a Good Conduct Badge on December 22, 1916. Arlow saw his share of sickness in less than a two year period. On March 30, 1916, he was admitted to No. 7 Canadian Field Ambulance, then transferred to No. 16 General Hospital at Le Treport, where he was treated for a case of Scabbies, soon returning to his unit on April 2nd. He was admitted to No. 7 Canadian Cavalry Field Ambulance for two days on July 7, 1917 and treated for a contusion to his right hand. In early December 1917, he was admitted to No. 3 Station Hospital at Rouen with a mild case of influenza. He was then transferred sick to England and posted to the Canadian Machine Gun Depot at Seaford on December 10th, where he was treated at the Military Hospital in Borant with a diagnosed case of Trench Fever from December 11, 1917 to January 4, 1918. He was discharged to No. 1 Canadian Convalescent Depot at East Sandling, soon returning to the Canadian Machine Gun Depot, where he was on Command at Maresfield on March 3, 1918. Arlow was designated as Acting Lance Corporal with pay on April 2nd and ceased to be on Command on December 7th. One month later, on January 9, 1919, he was struck off strength to Canada at the Canadian Machine Gun Depot. He arrived in Halifax, Nova Scotia aboard the S.S. Olympic, on January 17th. Arlow was discharged from service upon demobilization at No. 19 District Depot, Winnipeg, Manitoba, on February 20, 1919, credited with having served in Canada, England, France and Belgium.
Back To Top