A First War Trio Lieut. Henry; H.M.S. Duke of Edinburgh
A First War Trio Lieut. Henry; H.M.S. Duke of Edinburgh - 1914-15 Star (CH. ART. ENG. H. DAVIS, R.N.); British War Medal (CH. ART. ENG. H. DAVIS. R.N.); and Victory Medal (CH. ART. ENG. H. DAVIS. R.N.). Naming is officially impressed. Court-mounted, contact marks, better than very fine. Accompanied by a duotang folder with his military biography and nine black and white ship photographs. Footnote: Henry Davis became an Artificer Engineer on November 1, 1902. He was posted for service on July 23, 1903 with the 2nd Class Cruiser H.M.S. Iris out of Portsmouth, the tender to H.M.S. St. Vincent, for mechanical training for boys. Davis was then posted for overseas service with the Protected Cruiser H.M.S. Powerful on October 3, 1905, serving in Australia, then returned home to England, where he was posted to the Home Fleet with the Protected Cruiser H.M.S. Edgar out of Portsmouth ("borne in Royal Arthur") on February 18, 1908. Twenty months later, on October 19, 1909, he was posted to the Armoured Cruiser H.M.S. Black Prince, serving with the Atlantic Fleet, 5th Cruiser Squadron. Upon the outbreak of the First World War in 1914, he was on the Coastal Destroyer H.M.S. Torpedo Boat 5 (the former H.M.S. Spider) with the 4th Flotilla out of Portsmouth, a tender to H.M.S. Hecla in 1912, and later that year, with the 8th Flotilla as tender to H.M.S. Tyne, all the while serving on North Sea Patrols. It was during his time with H.M.S. Tyne that he was named a Chief Artificer Engineer and Commissioned Engineer on April 1, 1913. By 1914, he continued his North Sea patrol service out of Portsmouth with the 7th Flotilla as tender to H.M.S. Leander. In 1915, Davis was with the Cruiser H.M.S. Duke of Edinburgh, seeing action at the Battle of Jutland with the 1st Cruiser Squadron, Grand Fleet, from May 31 to June 1, 1916. In 1917, he was posted to the former "aged" Battleship, now Depot Ship, H.M.S. Magnificent, her guns having been removed, and served as a tender to transports. He was then was sent to the Depot Ship H.M.S. Hecla, on October 26, 1917, a special torpedo vessel with the 2nd Destroyer Flotilla, stationed at Belfast and served there until the end of the war. On January 19, 1920,Davis was posted to the Light Cruiser H.M.S. Dido out of Portsmouth and retired nine months later, on October 26, 1920, in the rank of Lieutenant Engineer (Retired). He died in 1950 or 1951.