A First War Trench Map Named to Lieut. McNair, 1st Canadian
A First War Trench Map Named to Lieut. McNair, 1st Canadian - Map is printed in four-colour ink (red, blue, yellow and black) of an off-white paper stock, entitled "The Daily Telegraph War Map No. 14 of the French Fighting Line, Arras to Nancy" and was created by Alexander Gross, F.R.G.S. (Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society) and produced by Geographia Limited of London, England. It charts the areas of France, Belgium, Luxembourg and far western Germany and is topographical in nature, with seven different colours used to define elevation. It is detailed with cities and towns, railways, country boundaries, forts and fortresses, canals and roads, with Paris predominate in the bottom left corner. The map is scaled in metres and in feet, along with being divided into twenty mile squares for orientation, measuring 570 mm x 880 mm, with intended fold marks. Upper left corner of the map is pasted into a light blue card paper stock cover, printed in black ink, front cover entitled "The Daily Telegraph War Map of the French Fighting Line, Arras to Verdun (No.14) by Alexander Gross, F.R.G.S." with the price of "One Shilling Net." and "Produced by "Geographia" Ltd. 55, Fleet Street, London, E.C.". It is also signed by its owner in black ink "F.A.R. McNair Lieut. / 1st Bn. Canadian Railway Troops" along the top edge of the cover. The inside front cover shows a map of England and Wales divided into nineteen sectors, illustrating mapsavailable from the company. The back cover lists twenty-one war maps, along with six other war publications available from the Daily Telegraph. The map neatly folds up into the 126 mm x 204 mm folder, exhibiting light soiling and wear, with a tear running half the length of the folder's spine but the map inside remains unaffected and is in terrific condition. Near extremely fine. Footnote: Frederick Alexander Ralph McNair was born on July 14, 1894 in Toronto, Ontario. He signed his Officers' Declaration Paper as a Lieutenant with the 1st Construction Battalion, on September 1, 1916, in Toronto, at the age of 22, naming his next-of-kin as his brother, John P. McNair of Toronto, stating that he had three years' previous military service with the 12th Regiment "York Rangers", that he was in an active militia (the 12th Regiment), that his religion was Presbyterian and that his occupation was that of Inspector and General Construction Worker. In the winter of 1915, the Imperial War Office requested that the Canadian Government send two railway construction companies to France (1st and 2nd Battalions). The Canadian Overseas Railway Construction Corps was organized on May 15, 1915 and comprised about 500 men from the construction forces of the Canadian Pacific Railway Company. The unit sailed June 14, 1915 and entered the French theatre two months later. In May 1916, the Imperial War Office asked Canada to furnish another railway construction unit of approximately 1,000 strong. Recruits drawn from skilled railway workers across the country were organized into the 239th Overseas Railway Construction Battalion (3rd Battalion). On June 15, 1917, the Canadian Overseas Railway Construction Corps was re-designated as the Corps of Canadian Railway Troops. McNair survived the war.