Tel: 1(905) 634-3848

Text: 1(905) 906-3848

Purveyors of Authentic Militaria

eMedals-A First War Pair to the Canadian Field Artillery; Wounded at Lens

Item: C3482

A First War Pair to the Canadian Field Artillery; Wounded at Lens



Layaway Policy

eMedals is pleased to offer flexible layaway services to all clients. Our layaway program offers the opportunity for clients to make payments on eligible items over period of time.

Minimum deposit of 30%, of the total price of your order including all applicable taxes and shipping charges, is due when the merchandise is put on layaway. The total price of your order must be paid within 6 months from the date of original purchase.

You may make additional payments at any time by accessing the Layaway section in your account.

Your contract will be automatically cancelled and ordered merchandise will be returned to stock if you have not completed payments in full by the 3 month deadline.

You may pay by cash, check, wire transfer, Paypal, or credit card.

Available for immediate shipping.

A First War Pair to the Canadian Field Artillery; Wounded at Lens

A First War Pair to the Canadian Field Artillery; Wounded at Lens - British War Medal (341859 GNR. J. SWAN. C.F.A.); and Victory Medal (341859 GNR. J. SWAN. C.F.A.). Naming is officially impressed. Unmounted, very crisp detail, dark patina on BWM, light contact, original ribbons, near extremely fine. Accompanied by copies of his Index Cards, Attestation Paper, Service Records, Medical History of an Invalid Report and Discharge Certificates.  Footnote: James Swan was born on November 13, 1879 in Bolton, England. He signed his Attestation Paper with the 71st Battery, Canadian Field Artillery on June 5, 1916 in St. Catharines, Ontario, with the rank of Driver, naming his next-of-kin as his wife, Emily Swan of St. Catharines, stating that he had no previous military service, that he was married and that his trade was that of Plasterer. After five and a half months training, he embarked Halifax, Nova Scotia aboard the S.S. Mauretania on November 23, 1916, arriving in Liverpool, England on the 30th. He was taken on strength upon arrival by the Reserve Battalion, Canadian Field Artillery at Shorncliffe. Swan embarked England for overseas service in France on March 17, 1917 and was posted to the 1st Canadian Divisional Ammunition Column in the field on March 21st. A little over three months later, he was transferred to the 8th Brigade (now known as the 8th Army Brigade) and taken on strength on July 8th. Swan suffered a gun shot wound (shrapnel) to his left shoulder and upper arm on June 21, 1918 at Lens, France. He was initially treated at No. 4 Canadian Casualty Clearing Station for four days, before being transferred to No. 53 General Hospital on June 25th. He was later invalided to England for additional treatment at Waymouth (six weeks), Taplo (ten days) and Becks Hill (six weeks). He was invalided to Canada on November 26, 1918, arriving in Halifax, Nova Scotia aboard the S.S. Araguaya on December 7th. In his Medical History of an Invalid Report, dated February 18, 1919 at Whitby Military Hospital, it describes the circumstances under which he was injured and the extent of his injury: "Wounded at Lens, June 21/18 by a piece of shrapnel. Scar in axilla fold caused limitations of abduction of left arm. This has been gradually overcome by massage & exercise." It goes on to state that he experienced "Partial loss of function (in the) left shoulder joint due to scar.", in addition to the "Left arm is slightly weakened & shoulder is a little stiff." The board recommended that he be discharged. Swan was discharged on March 3, 1919 as being "medically unfit" at No. 2 District Depot, in Toronto, Ontario, at the age of 39. He was credited with having served in Canada (June 1916 to October 1916), England (October 1916 to March 1917) and France (March 1917 to July 1918), before being invalided to England and returning to Canada and permitted to wear the War Service Badge, Class "A", No. 85372 and the War Service Badge, Class "B", No. L53254. He died on November 8, 1951.
Back To Top