Tel: 1(905) 634-3848

Text: 1(905) 906-3848

Purveyors of Authentic Militaria

eMedals-Canada. A First War Pair to the 78th Infantry; Wounded May 1918

Item: C3729

Canada. A First War Pair to the 78th Infantry; Wounded May 1918



Layaway Policy

eMedals is pleased to offer flexible layaway services to all clients. Our layaway program offers the opportunity for clients to make payments on eligible items over period of time.

Minimum deposit of 30%, of the total price of your order including all applicable taxes and shipping charges, is due when the merchandise is put on layaway. The total price of your order must be paid within 6 months from the date of original purchase.

You may make additional payments at any time by accessing the Layaway section in your account.

Your contract will be automatically cancelled and ordered merchandise will be returned to stock if you have not completed payments in full by the 3 month deadline.

You may pay by cash, check, wire transfer, Paypal, or credit card.

Available for immediate shipping.

Canada. A First War Pair to the 78th Infantry; Wounded May 1918

A First War Pair to the 78th Infantry; Wounded May 1918 - British War Medal (148101 PTE. G.F. WILSON. 78-CAN.INF.); and Victory Medal (148101 PTE. G.F. WILSON. 78-CAN.INF.). Naming is officially impressed. Un-mounted, cleaned, contact marks, very fine. Accompanied by copies of his Index Cards, Attestation Paper, Service Records, Medical Records, Pay Records, Will and Discharge Certificates.  Footnote: George Frederick Wilson was born on October 21, 1880 in Brighton, England. He signed his Attestation Paper with the 78th Infantry Battalion "Winnipeg Grenadiers" on August 3, 1915 in Winnipeg, Manitoba, naming his next-of-kin as his wife, Mrs. Emma Wilson of Winnipeg, stating that he had three years' previous service with the 4th Battalion Rifle Brigade, that he belonged to an active militia, the 100th Winnipeg Grenadiers, that he was married and that his trade was that of Sailmaker. He also had two sons, George Frederick Wilson and Frederick John Wilson, age eleven and nine respectively, as of March 1916. The Battalion was raised and mobilized in Winnipeg under the authority of G.O. 103A, August 15, 1915, sailing on May 20, 1916 from Halifax, Nova Scotia, aboard the S.S. Empress of Britain, under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel J. Kirkcaldy with a strength of 37 officers and 1,097 other ranks, including Private Wilson. They arrived in Liverpool, England on May 29th. After ten weeks orientation, he left Southampton for service overseas in the French theatre on August 12, 1916, disembarking in Le Havre on the 13th. Wilson received a received a wound to his right thumb, described as "lacerated", on January 28, 1917. He was admitted the next day to No. 13 Canadian Field Ambulance and after eight days, was discharged to duty on February 6th. He was granted ten days leave of absence, from June 29 to July 11, 1917 and was awarded one Good Conduct Badge on August 3rd. The following Spring, Wilson was in action on May 3, 1918, suffering a gun shot wound to his right forearm, or as noted in one account "he was struck with a bomb fragment" and in another account, "wounded by shrapnel". He was immediately admitted to No. 57 Casualty Clearing Station, then transferred two days later to No. 24 St. John's Ambulance Brigade at Etaples on May 5th. Four days after sustaining his injury, the decision was made to invalid him to England. Wilson was shuffled between a series of hospitals, including: Suffolk Hospital, Hampton (May 9th to 22nd), Brettenham Park Hospital, Suffolk (May 22nd to June 15th), Kitchener Military Hospital at Brighton (June 15th to July 18th), before being admitted to Granville Canadian Special Hospital at Buxton on July 19th. X-rays were taken at Granville and showed no visible fracture to the radius and ulna of the arm, but it was noted that he was experiencing "loss of power in his right forearm and hand". He continued to receive massage and electrical treatment while he was hospitalized for four months in England. He was discharged from Granville and invalided to Canada, sailing from England aboard the S.S. Tunisian on September 24, 1918, arriving in Quebec on October 6th. He returned to Winnipeg and was admitted to the Manitoba Military Hospital, Tuxedo Park on October 13, 1918, where it was noted that he had "impaired function (in his) right hand and wrist". After four months treatment in Canada, Wilson was discharged "as no longer being fit for Military Service under K.R.& O. 1912. Para 392. Sec. 16" at No. 10 District Depot in Winnipeg, on February 24, 1919, credited with having served twenty months and twenty-seven days in France and Belgium. In his handwritten Military Will, dated August 8, 1916, it stated that "In the event of my Death I give the whole of my property and effects to my wife, Mrs. E.G. Wilson 50 Albion St Brighton". Fortunately for Wilson, it was never executed, as he lived a long life thereafter, before passing away on September 23, 1959, at the age of 78.
Back To Top