Tel: 1(905) 634-3848

Text: 1(905) 906-3848

Purveyors of Authentic Militaria

eMedals-A First War Pair to the 46th Canadian Infantry; Passchendaele

Item: C2995

A First War Pair to the 46th Canadian Infantry; Passchendaele

Sold For


View Bid History

Not available.

A First War Pair to the 46th Canadian Infantry; Passchendaele

A First War Pair to the 46th Canadian Infantry; Passchendaele - British War Medal (911052 PTE. J.M. WOOD. 46-CAN.INF.); and Victory Medal (911052 PTE. J.M. WOOD. 46-CAN.INF.). Naming is officially impressed. Un-mounted, original ribbons, dark patina on the BWM, obverse of the VM with a flan flaw on the bottom of the gown, edge nicks, light contact, very fine. Accompanied by copies of his Index Cards, Attestation Paper, Service Records, Medical Records, Discharge Certificate and the 46th Infantry Battalion War Diary for October 26, 1917 at Passchendaele.   Footnote: John Mitchell Wood was born on August 3, 1898 in Bristol, Gloucestershire, England, the son of John Thomas Wood and Sarah Jane Wood. The family later immigrated to Canada, settling in Brandon, Manitoba. Wood signed his Attestation Paper as a Private with the 196th Infantry Battalion "Western Universities C.E.F. Battalion", on July 22, 1916 at Camp Hughes, Manitoba, at the age of 17, ten days shy of his eighteenth birthday, naming his next-of-kin as his father, John Thomas Wood of Brandon, stating that he belonged to an Active Militia, the 99th Manitoba Rangers, that he was not married and that his trade was that of Student. Once overseas, he later named two other contacts in England: Mrs. J. Mossman of Darlington, Durham and Miss T. Bellsworth of Haselmere, Surrey. The Battalion was raised from Western Universities with mobilization headquarters at Winnipeg, Manitoba under the authority of G.O. 69, July 15, 1916. The Battalion sailed November 1, 1916 from Halifax, Nova Scotia, under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel D.S. MacKay with a strength of 32 officers and 974 other ranks, arriving in Liverpool, England on November 11th. In England, the 196th Infantry Battalion was absorbed into the 19th Reserve Battalion on January 1, 1917. A little over eight months later, Private Wood was transferred to the 46th Infantry Battalion for service in the French theatre, on September 12, 1917, arriving in France on the 13th. Wood was wounded on October 26, 1917 while in action on the first day of the Second Battle of Passchendaele. He was admitted to No. 11 Stationary Hospital in Rouen on October 28th, suffering gun shot wounds to his left arm and leg. His left arm having experienced a shrapnel ball passing through the deltoid muscle and the left leg perforated by a shrapnel ball passing through its inner surface. After twelve days' hospitalization at Rouen, he was invalided to England and posted to the Saskatchewan Regimental Depot at Bramshott on November 9th. The following day, he was admitted to Queen Mary's Military Hospital at Whalley, Lancashire, where he would be treated for the next four weeks, before being admitted to the Canadian Convalescent Hospital at Woodcote Park, Epsom on December 4th. Upon his discharge from Epsom on December 10th, he was attached to the 2nd Canadian Convalescent Depot at Bramshott. In the new year, Wood was posted to the 15th Reserve Battalion on February 25, 1918, then returned to the 46th Infantry Battalion in France on May 10th and posted to the Canadian Corps Reinforcement Camp on the 23rd. It was here that he was awarded a Good Conduct Badge on July 24th, before joining the 46th Infantry Battalion in the field on August 14th. Wood was wounded again, almost one year to the day of his first wounding at Passchendaele, suffering a gun shot wound to his left hand. He was admitted to No. 22 Casualty Clearing Station on November 1, 1918, then transferred to No. 12 General Hospital at Rouen on November 4th and subsequently admitted to No. 74 General Hospital at Trouville, where he was declared "doing well", before being placed at No. 13 Convalescent Depot at Trouville on January 20, 1919, then discharged three days later, on the 23rd. He proceeded to England on February 19th and was posted to the Saskatchewan Regimental Depot, then transferred to the 15th Reserve Battalion at Ripon on February 26th. Wood was declared "Absent Without Leave" for five days, from March 27th to the 31st, 1919 and for his indiscretion, was awarded ten days Field Punishment No. 2 and forfeited five days' pay, on March 31, 1919, along with forfeiting his previously earned Good Conduct Badge. He was posted to Military District No. 10 Wing at Kinmel Park on May 10th for return to Canada, embarking England on May 18th. Wood was discharged upon demobilization at Dispersal Station "N", Military District No. 10 in Brandon, Manitoba, on May 29, 1919, entitled to wear the War Service Badge, Class "A", number 1630276 and credited with having served in Canada, the United Kingdom and France. For his First World War service, he was awarded the British War Medal and the Victory Medal.  
Back To Top