Tel: 1(905) 634-3848

Text: 1(905) 906-3848

Purveyors of Authentic Militaria

eMedals-A First War Pair to the 26th Canadian Infantry

Item: C3725

A First War Pair to the 26th Canadian Infantry



Layaway Policy

eMedals is pleased to offer flexible layaway services to all clients. Our layaway program offers the opportunity for clients to make payments on eligible items over period of time.

Minimum deposit of 30%, of the total price of your order including all applicable taxes and shipping charges, is due when the merchandise is put on layaway. The total price of your order must be paid within 6 months from the date of original purchase.

You may make additional payments at any time by accessing the Layaway section in your account.

Your contract will be automatically cancelled and ordered merchandise will be returned to stock if you have not completed payments in full by the 3 month deadline.

You may pay by cash, check, wire transfer, Paypal, or credit card.

Available for immediate shipping.

A First War Pair to the 26th Canadian Infantry

A First War Pair to the 26th Canadian Infantry - British War Medal (444598 A. SJT. J. STARKEY. 26-CAN.INF.); and Victory Medal (444598 A. SJT. J. STARKEY. 26-CAN.INF.). Naming is officially impressed. Un-mounted, dark patina on the BWM, extremely fine. Accompanied by copies of his Attestation Papers, Service Records, Medical Records and Discharge Certificates.  Footnote: Joseph Starkey was born on April 5, 1888 in Gateshead-on-Tyne, Durham, England. He signed his first Attestation Paper with the 12th Infantry Battalion on September 23, 1914 at Camp Valcartier, Quebec, naming his next-of-kin as Thomas Starkey of Shinworth, England, stating that he had no previous military service, that he was a widower and that his trade was that of Labourer. The Battalion was raised in Quebec, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island with mobilization headquarters at Camp Valcartier, under the authority of P.C.O. 2067, August 6, 1914. The Battalion sailed October 3, 1914 under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel H.F. McLeod with a strength of 45 officers and 1,028 other ranks. Upon arrival in England, the 12th Battalion was re-designated the 12th Reserve Battalion forming part of the Canadian Training Depot. Starkey was discharged as a "Special Case" at Bulford Camp on December 15, 1914, as he had to return to Canada "on business". Three and a half months later, he re-enlisted with the CEF, signing his second Attestation Paper with the 55th Infantry Battalion "New Brunswick/P.E.I. Battalion" on April 3, 1915 in Woodstock, New Brunswick, naming his next-of-kin as his wife, Mrs. Joseph Starkey of Woodstock, stating that he had previous military service with the First Canadian Expeditionary Force, that he was married and that his trade was that of Labourer. The Battalion was raised in New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island under the authority of G.O. 86, July 1, 1915. The mobilization headquarters was at Sussex, New Brunswick. The Battalion sailed October 30, 1915 under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel J.R. Kirkpatrick with a strength of 42 officers and 1,097 other ranks. After arriving in England on November 9th, the Battalion was absorbed into the 17th and 26th Reserve Battalions, with Starkey going to the latter. After five months in England, he reverted to the ranks at his own request on April 11, 1916 and was named Acting Sergeant the next day upon transfer to the 26th Battalion, as he was being sent to the French theatre. He departed for France on the 15th, arriving the next day and joined his unit on May 6th. He was treated at No. 8 Canadian Field Ambulance on September 19, 1916 with an "abrasion to his right foot", returning to duty the same day. A month later, he was admitted to No. 2 Australian General Hospital at Wimereux on October 22nd and diagnosed with a case of Pleurisy (an inflammation of the pleura, the lining surrounding the lungs. There are many possible causes of pleurisy but viral infections spreading from the lungs to pleural cavity are the most common. The inflamed pleural layers rub against each other every time the lungs expand to breathe in air. This can cause sharp pain when breathing, also called pleuritic chest pain). He was placed on the Hospital Ship St. Andrew and evacuated to the Canadian Casualty Assembly Centre at Shoreham-on-Sea on the 26th. He was transferred to Brook War Hospital at Woolwich on the 28th, where he received additional treatment before being transferred two weeks later to the Canadian Casualty Assembly Centre on November 11th. He was transferred to the Canadian Military Convalescent Hospital, Woodcote Park on December 13th, then attached to the 3rd Canadian Convalescent Depot on January 23, 1917. Starkey was taken on strength at the New Brunswick Regimental Depot at Shoreham on March 8th, later placed on command at the Canadian School of Stenography on July 3rd, before returning to the New Brunswick Regimental Depot. He was transferred to No. 52 District Headquarters, Canadian Forestry Corps at Carlisle on November 15th. Now 29 years of age, he was admitted to 2nd Western Hospital in Manchester, England on December 17, 1917, with a severe case of "V.D.G." (Venereal Disease, Gonorrhea). He was to spend the next sixty days there recuperating before being discharged on February 15, 1918. The following month, he was posted to Canadian Forestry Corps Base Depot at Sunningdale on March 15th. After serving six months with the Canadian Forestry Corps, he was attached to the Canadian Convalescent Depot at Buxton for return to Canada on September 10th, embarking for Canada on September 23rd. Starkey was taken on strength at District Depot No. 7 in Fredericton, New Brunswick on October 11, 1918, where he was discharged on December 4th, as "being no longer fit for War Service. K.R.&O. 1917. Para. 337. Sec. X." He was credited with having served in Canada, England and France, receiving four blue service chevrons, with his conduct and character noted as "very good".
Back To Top