Tel: 1(905) 634-3848

Text: 1(905) 906-3848

Purveyors of Authentic Militaria

eMedals-A First War Pair to the 24th Canadian Infantry Battalion

Item: C3710

A First War Pair to the 24th Canadian Infantry Battalion



Layaway Policy

eMedals is pleased to offer flexible layaway services to all clients. Our layaway program offers the opportunity for clients to make payments on eligible items over period of time.

Minimum deposit of 30%, of the total price of your order including all applicable taxes and shipping charges, is due when the merchandise is put on layaway. The total price of your order must be paid within 6 months from the date of original purchase.

You may make additional payments at any time by accessing the Layaway section in your account.

Your contract will be automatically cancelled and ordered merchandise will be returned to stock if you have not completed payments in full by the 3 month deadline.

You may pay by cash, check, wire transfer, Paypal, or credit card.

Available for immediate shipping.

A First War Pair to the 24th Canadian Infantry Battalion

A First War Pair to the 24th Canadian Infantry Battalion - British War Medal (742796 PTE. W. BAILEY. 24-CAN.INF.); and Victory Medal (742796 PTE. W. BAILEY. 24-CAN.INF.). Naming is officially impressed. Very crisp detail, cleaned, light contact, oxidation mark on the reverse of the VM, very fine. Accompanied by eighteen pages of copies of his Index Cards, Attestation Paper, Service Records, Medical Records, Military Will, Discharge Certificate and Department of Veterans Affairs Death Notice. Footnote: Westley Bailey was born on July 22, 1896 in St. John, New Brunswick. He signed his Attestation Paper with the 115th Infantry Battalion at St. John, New Brunswick, on December 6, 1915, at the age of 19, stating that he was married to Mildred Bailey, that he had no previous military service and that his trade was that of Teamster. The Battalion was raised in New Brunswick with mobilization headquarters at Saint John under the authority of G.O. 151, December 22, 1915. He signed his Military Will on April 25, 1916, stating that "In (the) event of my death I give the whole of my property and effects to my wife, Mr. Mildred Bailey, Sussex Post Office King's County N.B. Canada". The Battalion sailed July 23, 1916 from Halifax, Nova Scotia, aboard the S.S. Olympic, under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel F.V. Wedderburn with a strength of 34 officers and 801 other ranks, including Private Bailey, disembarking at Liverpool, England on the 31st. The 115th was absorbed by the 24th Infantry Battalion, on October 5, 1916, with Bailey taken on strength on the 6th. He proceeded overseas to France, joining them in the field on the 22nd. He was treated at No. 6 Canadian Field Ambulance from February 3 - 6, 1917 for Tracheitis (a bacterial infection of the trachea (windpipe)), then transferred to the Corps Rest Station on the 6th, for two additional weeks of rest, being released on the 18th. While on service in France, he sustained a gun shot wound in the abdomen on April 6, 1917. In his Medical History of an Invalid, it details the location of his wound, at the hip bone, stating that the "entrance of (the) bullet was the size of a quarter", with the exit wound above the middle of the crest of the ilium (hip bone)". He was treated at the Military Hospital at Woking, until being transferred to the Military Isolation Unit at Aldershot on May 10th. It was here that he developed an infection and was sent back to Woking on May 31st, remaining there for two months, untilAugust 31st. He was then transferred to the Military Convalescent Hospital at Epsom on September 1st, for an additional two and a half months convalescence, being discharged on November 16th. Bailey was then attached to the Canadian Convalescent Depot, remaining with them until being taken on strength by the 23rd Reserve Battalion on January 25, 1918. By the Fall, he was posted to the 1st Quebec Regimental Depot (QRD) at Bramshott on October 25, 1918, transferred to the 23rd Canadian Reserve Battalion two weeks later, on November 12th. He returned to the QRD on December 16th. It was here that he ran afoul of the authorities, by "Disobeying an order in that he absented himself from a draft. Awarded 10 Days FP2 (Field Punishment 2) by order QRD". Private Bailey returned to Canada from Liverpool aboard the S.S. Belgic on February 23rd, arriving in Halifax on March 2nd. He was discharged upon demobilization on March 20, 1919 at the St. John Dispersal Station, for the Officer Commanding District Depot # 7. Bailey died on June 21, 1965 at Lancaster Hospital in Lancaster, New Brunswick, at the age of 68.
Back To Top