Tel: 1(905) 634-3848

Text: 1(905) 906-3848

Purveyors of Authentic Militaria

eMedals-A First War Pair to the 19th Canadian Infantry

Item: C1325

A First War Pair to the 19th Canadian Infantry

Sold For


View Bid History

Not available.

A First War Pair to the 19th Canadian Infantry

A First War Pair to the 19th Canadian Infantry - British War Medal (757157 PTE. D. PERRY. 19-CAN.INF.); and Victory Medal (757157 PTE. D. PERRY. 19-CAN.INF.). Naming is officially impressed. Mounted to a suspension with swing bar pinback, as worn by the veteran, dark patina and edge nicks on the BWM, light contact, better than very fine. Accompanied by a WWI Wound Badge (bronze, 5 mm x 52.3 mm, intact lugs), a 19th Infantry Battalion Vimy Reunion Patch (three-colour embroidery, 74 mm x 80 mm), a 19th Infantry Battalion Cap Badge (browning brass, maker marked "J.R. GAUNT LONDON" on the reverse, 37.7 mm x 39.6 mm, intact lugs and pin), a CEF For Service At The Front Badge, AKA War Service Badge (bronze and enamels, numbered "199742" on the reverse, 23 mm, screwback), a Village of Mons, France Canadian Corps Liberation Commemorative Medal (aluminum, 22.5 mm), a Canadian Corps Reunion Medal (bronze, with the left-facing portrait of General Sir Arthur Currie on the obverse, maker marked "LACKIE MFG. CO. TORONTO" on the reverse, 38.6 mm) and a CD containing seventeen pages with copies of his Index Cards, Attestation Paper, Service Records, Medical Records and Discharge Certificates. Footnote: David Perry was born on January 15, 1897 in Oldham, England, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Joshua Perry of Hamilton, Ontario. He signed his Attestation Paper on September 29, 1915 in Hamilton, Ontario, with the 120th Infantry Battalion "13th Royal Regiment/City of Hamilton Battalion", at the age of 18, naming his next-of-kin as his father, stating the he had no previous military service, that he was not married and that his trade was that of Shipper. The Battalion was raised and mobilized in Hamilton under the authority of G.O. 151, December 22, 1915. The Battalion sailed August 14, 1916 from Halifax, Nova Scotia aboard the S.S. Empress of Britain, under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel D.G. Fearman with a strength of 32 officers and 838 other ranks, arriving in Liverpool, England on the 23rd. After five months in England, he was struck off strength at Bramshott and transferred to the 134th Infantry Battalion at Witley on January 25, 1917. He was again to see a second transfer four months after being with the 134th Infantry Battalion, as he was struck off strength at Witley on May 23rd and transferred on proceeding overseas with the 19th Infantry Battalion in the French theatre on May 25, 1917. He left for his unit in France on June 11th, joining his unit in the field on the 12th. Perry was sentenced to seven days Field Punishment No. 1 on February 20, 1918: "When on A.S., Absent without leave from 6.30 am. 11.2.18 to 6.30 am. 12.2.18, Forfeits 2 days pay under R.W.". He is documented as being "at hospital" as a Batman to Captain Hartone on April 9, 1918. Perry suffered a Gun Shot Wound to his left hand and was admitted to No. 1 Canadian Field Ambulance on August 8, 1918. He was transferred to No. 5 Casualty Clearing Station and then admitted to No. 47 General Hospital at Le Treport on August 9th. He was hospitalized for one month before being discharged on September 10th, designated Class "A" and sent to the Canadian Infantry Base Depot on September 11th. He was transferred to the Canadian Corps Reinforcement Camp a week later, on September 18th, arriving on the 19th, and returned to the 19th Infantry Battalion on the 20th. He was only one month in his second term with the 19th Infantry Battalion when he was Shell Gassed in battle and admitted to No. 9 Canadian Field Ambulance on October 12, 1918. He was transferred to No. 1 Casualty Clearing Station on the next day and admitted to No. 18 General Hospital at Couriers. Once he showed signs of recovery, he was transferred and admitted to No. 6 Convalescent Depot at Etaples  October 21st, then to No. 12 Convalescent Depot at Aubesque on the 22nd, before being discharged to No. 5 R.C. at St. Martin on the 30th. He returned to the Canadian Infantry Base Depot designated Class "A" on October 30th, then left for the Canadian Corps Reinforcement Camp on November 8th, arriving on the 11th. He returned for a third stint with the 19th Infantry Battalion on the November 16, 1918. Upon the ceasing of hostilities, he proceeded to England on April 5, 1919 from the Canadian Embarkation Camp and was taken on strength of "O" Wing of the Canadian Concentration Camp at Witley. After a little over a month in England, he was struck off strength of the Overseas Military Force of Canada on proceeding to Canada on May 13th, having made a good recovery from both the gun shot wound suffered on August 9, 1918 and the shell gassing of October 11, 1918. Perry disembarked Liverpool aboard the S.S. Caronia on May 14, 1919 and was discharged upon demobilization at No. 2 District Depot in Toronto, Ontario on May 24, 1919, entitled to wear the War Service Badge, number 199742, stating his proposed residence as his parent's house in Hamilton.
Back To Top