Tel: 1(905) 634-3848

Text: 1(905) 906-3848

Purveyors of Authentic Militaria

eMedals-A First War Medal to the Royal Highlanders of Canada

Item: C3465

A First War Medal to the Royal Highlanders of Canada

Sold For


View Bid History

Not available.

A First War Medal to the Royal Highlanders of Canada

A First War Medal to the Royal Highlanders of Canada - British War Medal (141605 PTE. F. PATTERSON. 42-CAN. INF.); and Victory Medal (141605 PTE. F. PATTERSON. 42-CAN. INF.). Naming is officially impressed. Very crisp detail, polished, mounted with swingbar pinback, as worn by the veteran, light contact, original ribbons, near extremely fine. Accompanied by copies of his Index Cards, Attestation Paper, Service Records, Medical Records and Discharge Certificates. Footnote: Frank Stanley Patterson was born on December 13, 1887 in Collingwood, Ontario. He signed his Attestation Paper on August 11, 1915 with the 76th Infantry Battalion, at Niagara Camp, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, naming his next-of-kin as his wife, Mrs. Annie Patterson of Collingwood, stating that he had no military service, that he was married and that his trade was that of Bricklayer. The Battalion was raised in Barrie, Ontario with mobilization at Niagara Camp under the authority of G.O. 103A, August 15, 1915. Patterson sailed from Montreal on October 1, 1915 aboard the S.S. Scandinavian, arriving in England on October 10th. Patterson's European experience was one where he spent time in and out of hospitals. On November 12, 1915, he was admitted to the Tent, St. Martin's Place and diagnosed with V.D.G. (Venereal Disease Gonorrhea), then transferred to Barnwell Military Hospital, Cambridge for additional treatment, being discharged on January 6, 1916. Not quite three weeks later, on January 25th, he was admitted to Moore Barracks, Shorncliffe with a case of tonsilitis, experiencing a "slow recovery" but was eventually discharged February 9th. Three weeks later he found himself in the French theatre, at Le Havre, and was taken on strength by the 42nd Infantry Battalion on March 2nd. Two and a half months later, on May 19th, he was admitted to  No. 6 British Red X Hospital and his condition deemed "N.Y.D." (not yet determined). He was transferred to 3rd Southern General Hospital at Oxford on May 26th and diagnosed with gastritis. Ten days later, he was again transferred, this time to the Canadian Convalescent Hospital at Wokingham on June 7th for recovery. He was discharged to duty on June 29th at the Canadian Casualty Assembly Centre on transfer to the 17th Reserve Battalion on June 29th. That fall, he was taken on strength by the 92nd Infantry Battalion on September 9, 1916. Again, his health failed him, as he was transferred to the Canadian Convalescent Hospital, Woodcote Park, Epsom, again with gastritis, on November 17th until late December. In the new year, he was transferred to the 5th Reserve Battalion on January 1, 1917 but lasted one month before being admitted on February 5th to the 2nd Eastern General Hospital at Brighton with another outbreak of gonorrhea, enduring three weeks treatment and released on February 26th. He was struck off strength on transfer to the 1st Quebec Regiment on March 10, 1917. His hospitalized continued, this time sustaining a contusion to his right forearm on April 16th, and was admitted to the Canadian Military Hospital at Hastings, where he was treated until his discharge on May 14th. One month later, he was posted to the the 20th Reserve Battalion on June 14th. Patterson did receive one positive in his life that fall, as he was granted a Good Conduct Stripe on October 4, 1917. He was struck off strength to the 1st Quebec Regimental Depot on December 12th and attached to the 2nd Canadian Convalescent Depot until late December. His health was in question again, as he was admitted to No. 12 Canadian General Hospital at Bramshott with a case of laryngitis on January 17, 1918, then returned to the Canadian Convalescent Hospital at Wokingham on February 10th for the recovery process and subsquently discharged on March 1st. He was once struck off strength to the 20th Reserve Battalion at Bramshott on April 13, 1918. Patterson was diagnosed with a case of bronchitis on June 24, 1918, his initial treatment at No. 12 Canadian General Hospital, Bramshott, then transferred to the Military Convalescent Hospital, Widcote Park, Epsom on July 27th. After almost one month there, he was again transferred, this time to No. 4 Canadian General at Basingstone on August 29th, where he was to remain until he was discharged on October 10th. He was struck off strength to the 42nd Infantry Battalion on October 30, 1918 and returned to France. His seeming good health last only two months, as he was admitted to No. 2 Australian Casualty Clearing Station on December 30, 1918 with a case of influenza. Patterson eventually recovered and proceeded to England on February 7, 1919, embarking for Canada on March 1st. He was discharged from active service upon demobilization on March 11, 1919 at Dispersal Station "F", Military District No. 4, Montreal, Quebec. He died on June 11, 1948, at the age of 60.
Back To Top