Tel: 1(905) 634-3848

Text: 1(905) 906-3848

Purveyors of Authentic Militaria

eMedals-A First War Medal Pair to the Canadian Railway Troops

Item: C2382

A First War Medal Pair to the Canadian Railway Troops

Sold For


View Bid History

Not available.

A First War Medal Pair to the Canadian Railway Troops

A First War Medal Pair to the Canadian Railway Troops -  British War Medal (1099062 A. CPL. H. CARNEY. C.R.T.); anVictory Medal (1099062 A. CPL. H. CARNEY. C.R.T.). Naming is officially impressed. Un-mounted, original ribbons, light contact, spotting on the VM, better than very fine. Accompanied by copies of his Index Cards, Attestation Paper, Service Records, Medical Records, Discharge Certificate, Province of Ontario Certificate of Registration of Death, County of Wentworth Marriage Registry, Registration of Birth (for his Son, Edward), Border Crossing with the United States Manifest, along with his Statement of Service in the Canadian Armed Forces.    Footnote: Hugh Carney was born on October 14, 1880 in Belfast, Ireland, the son of Hugh Carrey and Jean Carney (nee Campbell). He lost his left eye in South Africa in October 1901 and is on record as having applied for admission to the United States at Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan on June 24, 1913, stating his occupation as Mechanic. He signed his Attestation Paper with the 256th (Overseas) Railway Construction Battalion, on January 16, 1917 in St. Catharines, Ontario, at the age of 36, naming his next-of-kin as his wife, Caroline Carney of St. Catharines, stating that he had thirteen years' previous military service with the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, that he was Married and that his trade was that of Machinist. He was transferred to the Canadian Railway Troops, No. 2 Section, Skilled Railway Employees (Railway Troops) as a Sapper on March 16, 1917 and was appointed Acting Lance Corporal on March 26th. He embarked Halifax, Nova Scotia on April 16, 1917 aboard H.M.T. Grampian, arriving in Liverpool, England on the 29th and reverted to the permanent grade in the interests of the service. One month later, Carney was admitted to the Canadian Military Hospital at Bramshott and treated for "piles" (Haemorrhoids) at Bramshott on May 12th, followed by a transfer to the Canadian Convalescent Hospital Woodcote Park at Epsom on May 29th for the next two months, before being discharged on July 20th. Carney was admitted to the Military Hospital at the Canadian Railway Troops Depot at Purfleet, Essex on August 1, 1917, having trouble with his sight. He was transferred to West Cliff Canadian Eye & Ear Hospital at Folkestone on August 9th, diagnosed with "chronic non-inflammatory glaucoma". He stated to the medical staff that he had been in France in April 1917 and "that he was gassed and since that time his right eye had been troubling him". However, his service record do not reflect such, as he didn't arrive in England until April 29th and he doesn't have appeared to have entered to the French theatre. The attacks of glaucoma had been occurring for the last three months but under treatment, the attacks had been fewer and not so severe. It was noted that the attacks were to likely occur again and it was recommended that he be returned to Canada, invalided rather than discharged. He was transferred to the Canadian Military Hospital at Kirkdale on August 28th for return to Canada and after a seven week stay, Carney was invalided to Canada for further treatment on October 17th, embarking from Liverpool, England aboard the Hospital Ship Araguaya. Upon his arrival in Canada, he was admitted to the Convalescent Home at Military District No. 2 in Toronto, Ontario on October 25th for the next week and a half. He was subsequently treated as an outpatient at Spadina Military Hospital in Toronto, from November 3rd to 27th. In his Medical History of an Invalid, dated November 19, 1917 at Spadina, it was documented that "This man suffered the the loss of (his) left eye during the Boer War." and noted that this "man states his vision failed to present state immediately as the result of (a) gas attack has not failed since - this is not compatible with the recurring attacks of glaucoma." It was recommended that he be discharged on account of physical unfitness and that "no further treatment would benefit his condition". He was declared "Category "E" (unfit for service in Categories A (general service), B (service abroad, not general service) and C (home service (Canada only). Carney was discharged on December 29, 1917 as "Medically Unfit". The following Spring, he married Caroline Carney (nee Schlegel) on April 2, 1918 in Hamilton, Wentworth County, Ontario and they had five children together: two boys (Alfred and Edward) and three girls (Christina, Ellen and Elizabeth). He died on August 25, 1934, at Victoria Hospital in London, Ontario, at the age of 53 and is buried at Maple Leaf Cemetery in Chatham, Ontario. In addition to the WWI Pair, Carney was apparently entitled to the Boer War medals.
Back To Top