Tel: 1(905) 634-3848

Text: 1(905) 906-3848

Purveyors of Authentic Militaria

eMedals-A First War Medal Pair to the Canadian Field Artillery

Item: C2665

A First War Medal Pair to the Canadian Field Artillery



Layaway Policy

eMedals is pleased to offer flexible layaway services to all clients. Our layaway program offers the opportunity for clients to make payments on eligible items over period of time.

Minimum deposit of 30%, of the total price of your order including all applicable taxes and shipping charges, is due when the merchandise is put on layaway. The total price of your order must be paid within 6 months from the date of original purchase.

You may make additional payments at any time by accessing the Layaway section in your account.

Your contract will be automatically cancelled and ordered merchandise will be returned to stock if you have not completed payments in full by the 3 month deadline.

You may pay by cash, check, wire transfer, Paypal, or credit card.

Available for immediate shipping.

A First War Medal Pair to the Canadian Field Artillery

A First War Medal Pair to the Canadian Field Artillery - British War Medal (1250501 CPL. H.C. OLIVER. C.F.A.); and Victory Medal (1250501 CPL. H.C. OLIVER. C.F.A.). Naming is officially impressed. Un-mounted, original ribbons, dark patina on the BWM, light contact, better than very fine. Accompanied by a CEF For Service at the Front Badge (bronze and enamels, numbered "131358" on the reverse, 22.5 mm, screwback, oxidation spot on the obverse), along with colour copies of his Index Cards, Attestation Papers, Service Records, Medical Records, Wills and Discharge Certificates. Footnote: Hugh Clarence Oliver was born on December 26, 1892 in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, England. He was a resident of Regina, Saskatchewan when he signed his CEF Attestation Paper on May 29, 1916 at Regina, at the age of 23, naming his next-of-kin as his wife, Dora Cubitt Oliver, stating that he had no previous military service, that he was Married and that his trade was that of Clerk. He embarked Halifax, Nova Scotia on October 4, 1916 aboard the S.S. Saxonia, arriving in Liverpool, England on the 13th and was taken on strength by the Reserve Brigade, Canadian Field Artillery. In early 1917, he was admitted to the Isolation Hospital at Folkestone with a case of the Measles on January 7th, then transferred the next day to Moore Barracks Hospital at Shorncliffe for a sixteen day stay, before being discharged on the 22nd. While in hospital, he was appointed Acting Corporal on January 17, 1917. Five days after his discharge from hospital, he was re-admitted to Moore Barracks Hospital at Shorncliffe with Rubella for another eighteen days on January 27th, treated, then discharged on February 14th. Oliver was appointed a Clerk on June 12, 1917, then transferred to the 2nd Brigade, Canadian Reserve Artillery and posted to 'E' Battery on June 22nd. Early in 1918, he reverted to Gunner on January 28th, arriving as a reinforcement and was taken on strength of the Canadian Artillery Pool on February 8th and posted to the Canadian Corps Reinforcement Camp on the 11th, to prepare for service in the French Theatre, arriving in France on February 24th. Oliver was awarded one Good Conduct Badge on May 29, 1918 and promoted to Corporal on October 4, 1918. While on leave from France, he was admitted to the General Hospital at Nottingham on January 11, 1919, his condition designated as "N.Y.D." (Not Yet Determined). He was soon diagnosed with Tonsillitis, and after three weeks, he was transferred to the Canadian Military Convalescent Hospital, Woodcote Park at Epsom on February 2, 1919, where he was hospitalized for an additional seventeen days, before being discharged on the 19th. He was posted to the Canadian Discharge Depot at Buxton for return to Canada and struck off strength on April 9, 1919. Having held the position of Purchasing Clerk with the 77th Battery, Canadian Field Artillery at the Canadian Artillery Reinforcement Depot, Oliver was discharged upon demobilization at the Clearing Depot in Saint John, New Brunswick, on April 23, 1919. A little over six months later, Oliver enlisted again, this time signing his Attestation Paper with the 12th Detachment, Corps of Military Staff Clerks, with the provisional rank of Corporal, on November 4, 1919 at Regina, at the age of 26, stating that he had thirty-five months previous service in the Canadian Expeditionary Force, that he was Married and that his trades were that of Farmer and Clerk. Three months after enlisting with the CMSC, he was promoted to Sergeant on February 4, 1920, followed four months later by his discharge upon demobilization, on June 15, 1920 at Regina. During the course of his service with the CFA, he filed two Wills, one dated September 15, 1916, the other undated, both leaving his estate to his wife, Dora, who was living in Crostwick, Norfolk, England but neither were executed as he survived the war. Oliver was credited with having served in Canada, the United Kingdom and France during the First World War and was awarded the British War Medal and the Victory Medal.
Back To Top