Tel: 1(905) 634-3848

Text: 1(905) 906-3848

Purveyors of Authentic Militaria

eMedals-A First War Medal Pair to the Canadian Field Artillery

Item: C3462

A First War Medal Pair to the Canadian Field Artillery

Sold For


View Bid History

Not available.

A First War Medal Pair to the Canadian Field Artillery

A First War Medal Pair to the Canadian Field Artillery - British War Medal (89752 GNR. E.G. RAYMOND. C.F.A.); and Victory Medal (89752 GNR. E.G. RAYMOND. C.F.A.). Naming is officially impressed. On a supsension bar with swing bar pinback as worn by the veteran, BWM is reverse mounted, better than fine. Accompanied by his War Badge (silver, numbered "C8659", 32.8 mm, pinback); two Canadian Overseas Field Battery Collar Tabs (bronze, maker marked "SERVICE SUPPLY ROCHESTER", 27 mm x 28.6 mm, intact lugs and pins); two Canadian Field Artillery Shoulder Titles (bronze, 13.8 mm x 31 mm each, intact lugs and pins); a Ribbon Bar of same (10 mm x 70 mm, pinback); and a CD containing fourteen pages with copies of his Attestation Paper, Service Records, Medical Records, Discharge Certificate, Department of Veterans Affairs War Veterans Allowance Form and Department of Veterans Affairs Death Confirmation. Footnote: Edmond Gordon Raymond was born on September 28, 1893 in London, Ontario. He signed his Attestation Paper on May 19, 1915 in Kingston, Ontario, stating that that he was not married, that he had three years previous military service with the 7th Regiment in London and that his trade was that of Surveyor. He arrived in Plymouth, England on August 18, 1915 and embarked for the French theatre five months later, on January 16, 1916, landing at Le Havre on the 18th. By February 2, 1917, Raymond was attached to the Signal School in the field. A month later, onMarch 19th, he was struck off strength of the 7th Battalion, and taken on strength by the 5th Battalion the next day. A week later, on March 27th, he was admitted to hospital and listed as "sick", diagnosed with neuralgia (sharp, shocking pain that follows the path of a nerve, due to irritation or damage to the nerve) and tachycardia (a heart rate that exceeds the normal range). He was re-admitted on April 8, 1917, due to "Debility" at No. 7 Canadian General Hospital Etaples, being discharged on the 14th. A month later, on May 11, 1917, he was gassed and was treated on No. 5 Canadian Field Ambulance, rejoining his unit on the 18th. Raymond was granted leave on June 23rd, evacuated to England, then struck off strength and posted to the Canadian Artillery Regiment Depot at Shorncliffe, "being retained in England on compassionate grounds for leave to Canada." His furlough was further extended through November 1917 while at Witley. Raymond was struck off strength on the recommendation of a medical board on December 27, 1917 and was "discharged as consequence of being medically unfit due to sickness contracted on active service". He passed away on November 1, 1966, at the age of 73, the place of death "not stated".
Back To Top