Tel: 1(905) 634-3848

Text: 1(905) 906-3848

Purveyors of Authentic Militaria

eMedals-A First War Medal Pair to the 3rd Canadian Infantry CEF

Item: C3447

A First War Medal Pair to the 3rd Canadian Infantry CEF

Sold For


View Bid History

Not available.

A First War Medal Pair to the 3rd Canadian Infantry CEF

A First War Medal Pair to the 3rd Canadian Infantry CEF - British War Medal (172355 PTE. A.J. EYRE. 3-CAN.INF.); and Victory Medal (172355 PTE. A.J. EYRE. 3-CAN.INF.). Naming is officially impressed. Unmounted, cleaned, light contact, near extremely fine. Accompanied by a CD containing thirty-three pages with copies of his Index Cards, Attestation Paper, Service Records, Medical Records, Pay Records, Discharge Certificate and Department of Veteran Affairs Death Notification. Footnote: Arthur James Eyre was born on January 31, 1877 in Northampton, London, England. He signed his Attestation Paper at the age of 38 with the 83rd Infantry Battalion "Queen's Own Rifles" on August 27, 1915 in Toronto, Ontario, naming his next-of-kin as his wife, Kate Eyre of Toronto, stating that he had no previous military service, that he was married and that his trade was that of Labourer. The 83rd Battalion was raised and mobilized in Toronto under the authority of G.O. 103A, August 15, 1915. The Battalion sailed April 28, 1916 from Halifax, Nova Scotia aboard the S.S. Olympic, under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel R. Pellatt, with a strength of 35 officers and 1,081 other ranks, including Private Eyre, arriving in Liverpool, England on May 7th. He was taken on strength by the 12th Reserve Battalion at Shorncliffe on July 7th and a little over seven weeks later, was struck off strength to the 3rd Battalion at West Sandling on August 27th for service in the French theatre, joining them in the field on the 28th. After two weeks in France, Eyre left for the 1st Canadian Entrenchment Battalion on September 12th, joining his unit in the field on the 15th. On his first day with the 1st CEB, he suffered a gun shot wound to his head and right arm from a shell explosion. He was invalided to England aboard the Hospital Ship Dieppe and transferred to the Canadian Casualty Assembly Centre at Folkestone and subsequently admitted to East Leeds War Hospital, Harehills Road on September 24th. He was transferred to the Canadian Convalescent Hospital, Hillington House at Uxbridge on October 14th, then discharged on December 5th to the Canadian Convalescent Depot. After three months recuperation, he was discharged to the 12th Reserve Battalion on March 6, 1917. Eyre was deemed ready for service in the French theatre for a second time, transferred to the 3rd Battalion on May 3, 1917. He arrived at the Canadian Base Depot in France on the 4th and joined his unit in the field on the 9th. He was admitted to hospital on August 30, 1917 but his records do not stated as to why. He returned to the 3rd Battalion five days later, on September 4th. Almost a year to the day of his first wounding, he was admitted to No. 1 Canadian Field Ambulance with a gun shot wound (shrapnel) to his right leg on September 15, 1917. He was transferred to No. 23 Casualty Clearing Station on the 17th, then admitted to No. 13 General Hospital on the 18th. He was invalided wounded to England and posted to the 1st Central Ontario Regimental Depot at Shorncliffe on September 21st, taken on strength from the 3rd Battalion and admitted to the County of Middlesex War Hospital, Napsbury at St. Albans on the 22nd. Three weeks later, he was transferred to the Military Convalescent Hospital, Woodcote Park at Epsom on October 10th. It was at Epsom that he was not only treated for the injury to his leg but the severity of the injury to his left clavicle from the previous year was noted. An operation on his left clavicle was deemed necessary, which prompted the medical authorities to transfer Eyre to the Canadian General Hospital at Orpington in February 1918 to have his clavicle fixed. He returned to Epsom on May 23, 1918, where a Medical Report dated that day indicated that the shrapnel wound in his right calf had healed but there was "pain in (the) leg all the time, leg swollen". It also noted that the "sustained fracture (of the) left clavicle in 1916" had made the "movement of (the) left arm weak but normal" and that his "grip (was) poor." Massage and light duty were recommended. After six months, he was discharged from Epsom on October 23rd and placed on command at the Canadian Convalescent Depot at Witley. He ceased to be attached to the CCD on proceeding to the Regimental Depot Group on November 10th at Witley and later, ceased to be attached to the RDG on proceeding to "P. & E." on November 23rd. He arrived in Canada aboard the S.S. Aquitania on November 28th and was posted to the Casualty Company, Exhibition Camp, Toronto, the fracture to his left clavicle and flesh wound on calf of the right leg as concerns. At this point he was deemed "Medically Unfit" and was ordered to take further in-patient treatment with ISC. In his Medical History of an Invalid, dated December 20, 1918 at No. 2 Military District Depot, Exhibition Camp, Toronto, it documents both injuries sustained by Eyre while in France. The first, on September 15, 1916 from a shell explosion, which fractured his left clavicle: "On Sept. 15, 1916, he was near a "Jack Johnson" (slang for a large artillery shell, of which the power and large amount of dark smoke given off by big shell explosions were reminiscent of black Heavyweight boxing champion Jack Johnson) when it exploded. He was blown out of a shell hole, and alighted face downwards with (his) left arm flexed over the chest. He was rendered unconscious. The left clavicle was fractured. He was treated in various hospitals, the arm being in a sling and finally sent back to France in March 1917. He states that the fractured clavicle was not united when he returned to France in March 1917. He was given light duty as a batman. The next time medical attention was given to the clavicle was in February 1918 when (an) operation was done at Orpington and bone grafting was attempted." The second, on September 17, 1917 by shrapnel causing a flesh wound to the calf of his right leg: "On Sept. 17, 1917 he was struck in (the) calf of (his) right leg by shrapnel, sustaining a flesh wound. Operation was performed in France to remove the shrapnel. He was then sent to England, and never returned to France." It was noted at the time that "The left forearm and left hand are cold to the touch and cyanosed (having a bluish discoloration of the skin caused by a deficiency of oxygen in the blood). The grip with the (left) hand reveals only half the strength that the right has. There is no atrophy of muscles." The dorsi flexion of the right foot was limited and he was experiencing pain in the right leg and over the arch of the right foot. The medical examiner noted that "He cannot walk more than one half mile at marching pace, for pain in (the) right leg would compel him to fall out. When he walks, he feels a sensation of stiffness in muscles of the right calf." It was determined that he needed another operation to fix the clavicle, followed by two months of treatment. He was discharged at No. 2 Military District in Toronto as "Medically Unfit" on December 28, 1918 and was paid a War Service Gratuity in the amount of $600 ($420 to the soldier and $180 to his dependent wife). Eyre died on August 31, 1964, at the age of 87, the place of death not stated.
Back To Top