Tel: 1(905) 634-3848

Text: 1(905) 906-3848

Purveyors of Authentic Militaria

eMedals-A First War Medal Group to the Royal Canadian Field Artillery

Item: C2371

A First War Medal Group to the Royal Canadian Field Artillery

Sold For


View Bid History

Not available.

A First War Medal Group to the Royal Canadian Field Artillery

A First War Medal Group to the Royal Canadian Field Artillery - 1914-15 Star (85799 DVR: F. UDALL. CAN:FD:ART:); British War Medal (85779 GNR. F. UDALL. C.F.A.); and Victory Medal (85779 GNR. F. UDALL. C.F.A.). Naming is officially impressed. Un-mounted, dark patina on the BWM, spotting and light contact on the bronze medals, very fine. Accompanied by copies of his Index Cards, Attestation Paper, Service Records, Medical Records, Pay Records, Discharge Certificates and Department of Veterans Affairs Death Notification.   Footnote: Francis Udall was born on October 4, 1893 in Burnley, England and immigrated to Canada at the age of 19. He signed his Attestation Paper with the 23rd Battery, 6th Brigade, Canadian Field Artillery on November 27, 1914 in Fredericton, New Brunswick, at the age of 21, naming his next-of-kin as his father, William Udall of Liverpool, England, stating that he had previous military service with the 18th Battery Canadian Field Artillery (recruit), that he was not married and that his trade was that of Farm Labourer. He soon found himself in England, taken on strength at Shorncliffe, then transferred for service in the French theatre on May 30, 1915. Udall was taken on strength at Rouen on June 5th, beginning what would be thirty-eight months service with the 1st Brigade, Canadian Field Artillery and named a Gunner along the way. The following year, he was posted to the 1st Canadian Divisional Ammunition Column on May 19, 1916 but things would radically change for Udall, He was placed in confinement and awaited trial for seven days, from May 15th to the 22nd, 1917, charged with, when on Active Service "Using insubordinate language to his superior Officer" on May 9th. He was tried and convicted on May 22nd and sentenced to thirty-five days Field Punishment No. 1. He was posted to the 3rd Brigade, Canadian Field Artillery in the field on June 6th, continuing to serve his sentence, then transferred to the 1st Brigade, Canadian Field Artillery on August 24th. Udall continued to defy authority the following year, as he was placed in confinement and awaited trial for sixteen days, from May 28th to June 13th, 1918, facing two charges: Charge 1 - when on Active Service, he was Absent Without Leave from Reveille Roll Call at 6:00 AM on May 28th, until he surrendered himself to the military police at St. Pol at 9:40 AM that day and Charge 2 - he was in St. Pol without a pass. He was tried and convicted on June 13th, found guilty on Charge 1 and not guilty on Charge 2 and sentenced to fourteen days Field Punishment No. 1. At the conclusion of his sentence, he was admitted to No, 3 Canadian Field Ambulance on June 27, 1918 and diagnosed "NYD (not yet determined) Mental", then transferred three weeks later to No. 14 Canadian Field Ambulance on July 18th, still declared "NYD". He was transferred to No. 26 General Hospital at Etaples on July 27th and declared to have had a "Nervous Breakdown". He was diagnosed with Dementia, his medical records stating "It may be hysterical, but has the appearance of paranoia" and declaring that he was "only fit for England at present". He was invalided to England and admitted to Royal Victoria Hospital at Netley on August 1st for a "Mental" assessment, then transferred to the following week to Lord Derby War Hospital at Warrington on August 8th, diagnosed with "Delusional Insanity". After a lengthy stay at Warrington, Udall was invalided to Canada, embarking on December 29, 1918 aboard the S.S. Araguaya, arriving in Canada onJanuary 10th. His "Delusion of Insanity" forced his admission to the Ontario Military Hospital at Cobourg, Ontario on January 12, 1919. In his Case History Sheet, the Medical Officer described his condition, which he called a "Schizophrenic Episode". He said that Udall "Denies alcoholic excess or Venereal Disease", that he had "Persecutory delusions and hallucinated. Gives history of masturbation age 16 to 20. Denies any sexual perversion since then. Sleep is now good and undisturbed. No obvious volitional disturbances or defects of attention. Memory and orientation good. Has a clear insight into his past. Now about his normal level." and noted that Udall "wants to take up Farm Land under Government scheme". He was "boarded for discharge to civil life" on March 30, 1919. In his Medical History of an Invalid, dated March 30, 1919 at Cobourg, it was noted that Udall had served in France from May 1915 to May 1918. The Medical Officer went on state that Udall "was under fire but was not wounded, blown up or buried or gassed. On 25.5.18 (May 25, 1918) he became hallucinated, thought other men were calling him filthy" and that he "became nervous, suspicious, non-communicative, (his) memory impaired, no insight. According to documents, this condition lasted until 31/8/1918 (August 31, 1918) when symptoms began to clear up. Improvement has been slow but he has had no relapses and is now clear." He recommended six months partial rest and that Udall be discharged from His Majesty's Service and pass under his own control. He was transferred from No. 3 District Depot to the Casualty Company on April 14, 1919, then posted to the Discharge Station on the 21st. Udall was discharged on April 26, 1919 at No. 12 District Depot in Regina, Saskatchewan, declared "Medically Unfit "Sickness"", entitled to wear the War Service Badge, Class "A", number 241675 and the War Service Badge, Class "B", number 59576. He died on January 8, 1974, at the age of 80.
Back To Top